[atlarge-discuss] About Sotiris's kick-off for Mission Statement

HelpSotiris -

Your opening sentences for a mission statement - I think they give too central a position to ICANN.

The issue of representation within ICANN is ONE possibility, and ONE function of a much wider mission, IMHO.

If we give ICANN a central role in our mission, we may become marginal to THEIR agenda, because it sort of implies that we exist in relationship to them.

I agree with much of your wording - well drafted - but I think it needs to come lower down a list of statements - so we give centre stage to broader and independent goals, and clearly indicate that our relationship to ICANN is only one of many aspects of our existence and mission.

The key and central issue (as I see it) is the democratic right of millions and millions of users to determine the way the internet operates and is run. That issue stands alone, whether ICANN exists or not. And we can draw many more people into our movement if we broaden its appeal and popularise our message. ICANN is a sub-issue which may one day become a non-issue.

But thanks for some nice clear drafting (and yes, I better submit some drafting too...!)

Richard