Re: [atlarge-discuss] Membership Lists, Thomas Roessler, distance from ICANN

Richard and all stakeholders or interested parties,

Richard Henderson wrote:

> Jeff
>
> I wasn't exactly taking a stance for you to agree with.

  I understood that Richard.  I didn't indicate that you were either...  >:)

> I was asking for
> advice. I don't know Thomas at all. My enquiry isn't personal (and several
> people have spoken up for him). My concern is that our mailing-list should
> be properly administered in a way that safeguards membership details.

  Exactly right here Richard.  And that was indirectly part of my point.

> My
> concern is also that we should completely distance ourselves from ICANN,
> which I regard as corrupt.

  ICANN is captured, always has been.

> My question was more along the lines of : what do people think of Thomas
> Roessler and is he appropriate to (generously) do the work he does?

  As a chair of the DNSO, I see some pretty basic conflicts of interest
here.  Also there is not need for ICANNATLARGE.COM to use
such donations for this sort of thing.  Majordomo e-mail list software
is free and easy to install and implement...  So why use Fitug.de
as the host when ICANNATLARG.COM can host their own
E-Mail list...

> It's quite a tough question, because it could be misinterpreted as an
> insult - but I assure my motives are honest.

  Idid not interpret your concern as an insult...

> I just lack adequate
> information about Thomas and his association with ICANN. At the same time I
> have a responsibility to the people who elected our panel and to the
> organisation. My enquiry has begun to be answered and I appreciate all
> something of an "outsider" who has no loyalties or "past" and who should
> therefore ask some hard questions.

  Asking hard questions goes with the territory...  Getting direct and indirect
hard answers also goes with the territory as well.

> What other hard questions should I be asking? Why haven't we begun defining
> our bylaws and setting up our elections?

  This is a good hard question to ask...

> Why are we still thinking in terms
> of "fitting into ICANN"?

  Also a good hard question to ask...

> When does (real) Outreach begin and should we aim
> to have 10000 members by August?

  Each motivated member should be engaged in outreach to attain this
goal IMHO.  That is how we [INEGroup] do our outreach.  It works
very well too!!

> Richard

Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827