RE: [atlarge-discuss] ALOC Representation needs accompanying mission statement

Richard Henderson wrote:

>We SHOULD be represented (because it is a right of the people), but I agree
with Vittorio that our representatives should
>take a clear statement with them, that
>
>(a) they are wholly independent of ICANN

YES! We should position ourselves as advocates of Internet Users to any
significant body, not just ICANN.

>(a) they are wholly independent of ICANN

Yes!

>(b) critical of ICANN - sorry, but there's no point in appeasement

That's an understatemet for many of us! But yes.  :)

>(c) we have minimum requirements and expectations (including the election
of a significant part of the ICANN
>board by an ALSO membership recognised by ICANN but independent of it.

Yes.

>I DO NOT favour ICANN financing, however, as that automatically creates a
link and dependency, and a 'suspicion
>of association' with ICANN.
>
>You do not ask a burglar to pay for your house insurance.

LOL!  So true!

>The structure or architecture for discussion of this urgent matter [a clear
mission statement], and the bylaws,
>and the name, and the elections, should be set in place this weekend - so
that discussion among members can
>commence immediately in a clear and orderly manner.

Agreed.  Time is fleeting.  We should use it to good effect.

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon
Bruce@barelyadequate.info
http://www.barelyadequate.info