[atlarge-discuss] who pays for the net [was: Re: online voting]

Note: starts off-topic but manages to make itself on topic at the end!

It all depends on what level you want to look at the monetary food chain
as to "who pays for what". You could say that corporations pay people's
salaries and therefore _they_ pay for the Net. But even that's not quite
there...

Ultimately, it all depends on what our money is and where it comes from.
In the US, the main money, the US Dollar, comes from two sources: 1) The
Feds and 2) Commercial Banks.

[1] They just figure out how much money they want to create / make
available and make it available at a specific loan rate. They're betting
that the US won't disappear overnight. That's about the value of it. :)

[2] Through a questionable accounting fiction called "fractional reserve
banking", banks can lend a percentage of their money to others and still
say that they "have" that money. So, they can re-loan an ever smaller
and smaller chunk of that money, creating smaller and smaller amounts of
new money at each iteration. BUT, [2] gets its original money from [1].

So, for the US anyway, assuming most everyone here pays for service
using US dollars, the Net is ultimately paid for by the resilience of
the US government. (some argue that the Federal Reserve System is
independent of the US, but FRS wouldn't be around w/o USG).

Since USG is government of, for, and by the people of the US, the US
portion of the Net is paid for by the resilience and stability of its
citizenry.

-s

p.s. - You can repeat this argument for any fiat money system comparable
to the US system.