Re: [atlarge-discuss] subscribers on discuss list

We use mailman software, a GPL'd program, and it only keeps email addresses,
not names.   I don't think it is a good idea to have a public subscriber
list for something like this..... because of (a) spam, and (b) unfortunate
issues of lists being hijacked for other lists... people get *real mad*
today when signing up for a list gets you on a second list.     If this is
an issue of control, there are much better solutions.  As TR mentioned,
providing copies of subscriber lists to trusted third parties is one.

I personally am quite happy with the technical performance of the list,
which is very important, and pleased that TR volunteers the headache of
maintaing the list.   It is work.    TR has not made any demands in terms of
list rules.  That is something the members can discuss, and be worked out by
the group or the panel, as issues develop.  Right now people are not
actively abusively, they are not posting spam to the list, and being
reasonable in terms of volumn of posting.

Our bigger problem are the string of ICANN announcements that they have zero
intent on working with this effort to see the election of board members.
This has made this effort quite unimportant to people.

One strategic areas that we might push is to run an election for ICANN board
members, using the existing at large voter role......at least this is
something that would breath some life into the work done to register large
numbers of votes before.   This was Danny Y.'s suggestion elsewhere.... and
I thought a good one.

Jamie