Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: Thomas Roessler proposes elimination of current voting system for GA

On 2002-05-31 12:40:54 +1200, Joop Teernstra wrote:

>>After all, the very construction principle of an at-large
>>membership is to form a group of individuals - with no further
>>structure.

>I do not know who told you that, but it certainly is not my idea
>to leave the At Large without any further structure. Without
>structure, there cannot be any establishing of the majority's
>will.  There can be no resolutions, no decisionmaking.

You are misunderstanding me (and, actually, your interpretation of
this one sentence contradicts the rest of what I said - that should
have given you something to think about).  I'm not saying that an
at-large membership should not set up processes and administrative
structures.

I'm just saying that the membership itself is not structured by,
say, constituencies, professions, or the like.  For instance, an
at-large membership should certainly _not_ give any special rights
to, say, the representatives of the few firms running gTLD
registries.  Yes, it should be open for these individuals - but
acting in their personal capacity, not in their professional one.

That is, an at-large membership initiative is a homogeneous body,
and it makes sense to say that this group of individuals has come to
this or that decision, on substance.  (Possibly, the homogeneous
bodies are broken down to country levels at some point of time; so
would votes in this time - but that's it, I suppose.)

If you look at my message to the GA list, that's precisely the test
I suggested in order to answer the question whether secret votes are
the appropriate tool: A homogeneous body, making decisions.

I believe that the GA does not pass this test (after all, the DNSO
_is_ organized by constituencies, as a matter of fact).

To put it into friendly, capital letters: FOR THE GA, SECRET VOTES
DON'T MAKE SENSE.  FOR AN AT-LARGE MEMERSHIP THEY PROBABLY ARE THE
APPROPRIATE TOOL.  BUT THAT'S NOT MY DECISION TO MAKE.

--
Thomas Roessler                        <roessler@does-not-exist.org>