[atlarge-discuss] Joe Sims repsonds to criticism of Reform document

Bellow is Joe Sims timely response to my random-bits missive.  Sims refers
to "characterizations of agents provocateur like Jamie, whose main interest
is in advancing a very specific political agenda that has already been
demonstrated to not command consensus support in the ICANN community."
Actually, the ICANN GA just voted 3 to 1 in favor of a motion I proposed
asking the DoC to rebid the ICANN contracts, so I'm not sure what his point
is here.

Joe also says I have a discredited view that anything other than "direct
elections is unacceptable for world democracy."   In Thursdays' Washington
Post, Stuart Lynn characterised those asking for rebid of the DoC ICANN
contracts as a "group that is trying to transform ICANN from a limited
technical body into a worldwide experiment in global democracy," which is
funny, because the whole fight is how to actually have meaningful limits on
ICANN, and keep ICANN out of the politics or non-technical policy making.  I
personally would be happy if ICANN was so reduced in power that one one
cared who was on the board of directors (just like I don't worry much about
entities that assign telephone numbers).    Indeed, there is much support
for the *very thin* ICANN models, such as that proposed by IETF chair Harald
Alvestrand.

That said, we do care about how the ICANN board *is* elected, and we don't
think it is a good idea to have the ICANN board hand pick the persons who
elect the ICANN board  --  particularly given ICANN's clearly stated goal
regarding what it is supposed to do, and the complete lack of limits on what
it *can* do.  For example, look at this part of the policy making process
document, apparently written by Joe Sims.

http://www.icann.org/committees/evol-reform/working-paper-process-07may02.ht
"The fact is that the Internet, and its component part the Domain Name
System, is a global resource. It is not amenable to multiple national
regulatory approaches -at least if the goal is to allow the Internet to
continue to provide ever more opportunities to ever more people at a
relatively low cost. And in any event national regulation, given the nature
of the resource, is likely to be ineffective. Thus, the options are some
form of global governmental body, or a global private-sector body. There do
not appear to be any other workable alternatives."

Should the board that does what is described in the policy making document
be one that is accountable only to itself?   Is is "radical" to see the
flaws in this?  You decide.   In any case, Joe Sims' note is below.

 Jamie