[atlarge-discuss] Comments Invited on Election Details

Help
Election issues - Questions

I invite each panel member PLUS all other interested members to reply
to this agenda, with comments on the issues I have raised:

1. date of election

+ July 23rd-27th
+ ask membership for extension of mandate and then when?

YOUR COMMENTS:

2. Technical administration of election

+ suggestions for which system to use
+ security issues

YOUR COMMENTS:

3. Verification

+ who to act as monitors?

YOUR COMMENTS:

4. Procedure for nomination

+ can people self-nominate?

YOUR COMMENTS:

5. Period of Statements and Questions

+ all candidates to submit statements
+ all candidates requested to answer questions posed by membership?
(so that electors can compare answers)
+ how long should be allowed for this stage of the election process?

YOUR COMMENTS:

6.  Election format

+ global vote for all candidates, with no regional element?
+ global vote plus regional vote?
+ just regional votes?
+ number of representatives to be elected?
+ number of votes for each member (one or more?)
+ how long should be allowed for voting?

YOUR COMMENTS:

Other matters for definition:
Define mandate and role of those to be elected.
Define length of office before further elections must be held.
Discussion on Mission Statement (with final definition left til after election?)
Definition of Bylaws necessary to accompany election
(with other bylaws left until after the election if necessary)

There are other issues upon which the election is not dependent,
particularly the issues of Outreach and Regional organisation,
which can be evolved in the coming weeks to an extent,
but which await further development after the election.

What has become apparent is that this 3 month mandate for the Interim Panel
is really only enough to establish the basics, and what is now needed
is an election for a term of ONE YEAR, which is sufficient time
for elected representatives to really get to grips with the growth and development
of this organisation. I suggest that this more permanent elected body
should really be responsible for the formal definition of Mission Statement,
Name etc, because our Interim Panel is so transient.

Basically, I believe our panel should "get out of the way" as soon as possible,
so that we can make way for a more permanent elected body.

Certain problems about timing of election may be raised, such as the Summer
Vacation period, and the effect that might have on voting.

I personally do not feel happy about extending the mandate of the Interim Panel,
partly because we should stick to our terms of election, and partly because
I feel we need to get the interim phase behind us as soon as possible.

However, if the majority of the panel DID argue for an extension of time before
the next elections, then at the very least, I would expect a mail to be sent
to every single member with a request for consent for such action.

I invite each panel member PLUS all other interested members to reply to this
agenda, by filling in comments above (where set out) and replying to the list.

I believe it is important we proceed. I believe it is urgent for us to agree on some
dates now, because otherwise our 90 day mandate will just run out and I don't
think that would be acceptable.

Kind regards

Richard Henderson