Re: [atlarge-discuss] Trashing Our Founding Principles

Michael and all stakeholders or interested parties,

  Good letter for endorsement purposes. Unfortunately, we {INEGroup]
have already sent out to our respective members senators and representatives
as well as the relevant US and other government departments something
similar already with some stronger language regarding the upcoming
'02 elections and so forth...

Micheal Sherrill wrote:

> How about the following for a form letter to sent to any and all federal and state congresspersons and representatives?  Your additions and comments are welcome for consideration.
>
> Dear Senator ---------:
>
> I urge you to focus your attention on the current state of dysfunction of the Internet Corporation of Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).  ICANN was formed in 1998 as a non-profit organization to assume responsibility for the IP address space allocation, protocol parameter assignment, domain name system management, and root server system management functions previously performed under U.S. Government contract by IANA and other entities.  Unfortunately, it is not doing this well, if at all.  Although it alleges to represent the Internet worldwide it allows no feedback mechanism nor any avenue of communication that would permit commentary from those that best know the Internet, the users.  In fact, there would seem to be a purposeful effort within the ICANN executive management to suppress and restrict all democratic discourse both by it’s own governing body and from at large organizations that seek information, data, and resolution to numerous actions.  It has gotten so bad that even
> a member of the ICANN Board of Directors has sued for access to documents needed for the day to day operation of the business.  ICANN is broken and we seek your help to fix it.  Please contact the US Department of Commerce and demand action.
>
> Respectfully,
>
> John Q. Public

> From: "Richard Henderson" <richardhenderson@ntlworld.com>
> Date:  Mon, 3 Jun 2002 19:28:38 +0100
>
> I agree with Danny Younger that, whereas originally ordinary internet users
> were to be properly represented in the administration of the DNS, this vast
> worldwide constituency is now to be disenfranchised, and a worldwide
> resource
> is to be put in the hands of a group of people who have already shown
> themselves to be remote and unaccountable. (As an example of this, I have
> now
> been waiting 22 days for an acknowledgement of my questions on
> registry/registrar
> agreements, which I have sent to Dan Halloran, and which I have now been
> asking in various forms for nine months.)
>
> A self-perpetuating regime is exactly what may be achieved, if alternative
> viewpoints are effectively filtered out by a Nominating Committe "stacked"
> in
> favour of the ICANN establishment. Moreover, it was a founding principle of
> ICANN that the millions upon millions of ordinary users would get effective
> representation in the organisation.
>
> The anti-democratic trend in proposed reforms is so pervasive that the
> DNSO/GA replacement is not even to be allowed to choose its own Chair, but
> must accept a Chair "imposed" upon it. This is symptomatic of a "top-down"
> [...]

Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827