Re: [atlarge-discuss] Comments Invited on Election Details

Sotiris

I think the problem is one of co-ordination, definition of tasks, and
agreement on time-scales.

I don't want us to get into conflict and argument. Let's work together to
achieve a good outcome. We have differing abilities (for example, I could
not have made the outreach banners).

I want you to know that I appreciate your commitment and efforts. You have
been consistent in your contributions and involvement. However, I'd like to
point out that others have also produced Mission Statements (myself for
one). I've also published a Summary of Tasks for the Panel. I've expressed
willingness to participate in a By-Laws working group, and proposed an
Outreach working group.

I feel equally frustrated at the pace of events. A whole month ago I
proposed a timescale for working on Bylaws and the Election. With this I
defined detailed subsections. But this needs co-ordination, and a month has
passed, and I feel we should have agreed on specific actions, timescales and
deadlines.

This week I sent out my "Urgent Message" calling for action, because our
90-day mandate is running out, and I now repeat my appeal for us to take a
clear decision on: election YES or NO by July 27th; mandate - extend or not
extend.

But most importantly, I suggest we prioritise and, as Jamie Love has said,
the election issue should be the NEXT thing we work on, not some distant
LAST thing we put off and put off.

That's just a personal view, and I'll work with the majority if people
disagree with me.

Let's encourage one another and, while acknowledging the work that has
already been done, go for a vote this week or early next, on when the
election should be, and when we should "step down".

Could I just say one other thing? I've joined this panel as a relative
"outsider" because I believe in the cause that is being championed. I have
no interest in the political aspect of all this. No desire to be an ICANN
Board member. No desire to continue on the executive of this organisation
after July 27th. I just want to help the best I can. And I will want to
continue to help after a more permanent panel has been established. I
believe we should "trim down" the tasks we try to do, and prioritise the
election, and make a good job of moving the organisation on to a more
firmly-established and permanent phase.

I back Jamie Love's call for this to be the priority. I honestly don't think
you or anyone else was being criticised. I think we ALL feel frustrated in
some ways. Vittorio's committed to this task. I trust we all are.

I believe the long-term achievements of this fledgling organisation can be
very significant indeed, because we have tapped into a profound democratic
principle which needs applying to a profoundly important worldwide resource.
The present ICANN administration is craven. The fulfilment of our goals will
not come overnight. But our Interim Panel is a short and necessary step
along the way. The next stage is something a bit more long-term and
established. We basically need to do a small number of necessary tasks and
"get out of the way" and let that happen.

But right now, the problem is not willingness, but co-ordination. We need to
define exactly when we aim to have the election. We need to work back from
that. I call for a panel vote on this as soon as possible, subject to
consultation. Vittorio please could we invite viewpoints and then have a
vote on this, say, next week?

Proposed Motion: We agree to work towards an election by July 27th.

Proposed Motion (if that one fails): We propose to ask the membership for a
60 day extension of our mandate, and agree to work towards an election by
September 27th.

Richard