Re: [atlarge-discuss] It could happen anywhere

I totally agree with you Ron.

For info, I copy my post on the ga list below. It is absolutely clear that
the administration of the Internet (including its vital functions) should be
in the hands of ordinary internet users, democratically represented in its
governance. While we cannot control what goes on within national boundaries
very easily, it is essential that ICANN leads the way as a model of
democratic
representation, developing user groups that represent the VAST MAJORITY
of individual users, and from that base supporting democratic election. I
set
out my case below, and its the reason why I favour a broadening of our At
Large agenda in order to popularise the movement and involve more people.
Our Outreach should be about more than just attracting a few techies.

Richard

>This could happen anywhere.  The first time that it does, the rot will have
started.
>The only way to keep the Internet from  becoming another political
franchise,
>subject to embargo and national exploitation is for it to be controlled by
a strong,
>organized, global, user based entity that crosses all political and
national boundaries.
>This should be our wake-up call and >should define our mandate.
>
>Ron Sherwood

Message posted today on the ga-full mailing list:
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

It seems to me too many people are trying to jump through ICANN's hoops to
placate them.

If you're talking about democratic representation, let's get real:

FACT: Millions upon millions of ordinary families and individuals, largely
non-commercial but prepared to use commerce sites along with personal and
interest sites, are the VAST MAJORITY of INTERNET USERS.

FACT: This enormous majority should therefore have a proportionately large
representation on any ICANN Board.

FACT: Registrars etc are an infinitessimally small % of the Internet Users.
There
are also problems with conflicts of interest if they have executive
positions.
Democratic representation suggests they do not merit more than 0.001%
representation and would be far better to operate purely in an Advisory
Capacity,
not in any executive role on the ICANN Board.

TASK: To create processes through which we can achieve the democratic
representation of the "Ordinary Family and Individual User" huge majority.

STEP 1: ICANN and all other interested parties support the development of
groups which vary from international to national to local to area-specific,
with
agreed methods of member verification, which need not be full-proof but
should
aim to be 98% accurate.

STEP 2: Pool all these memberships, allowing one person-one vote.

STEP 3: Have a centralised vote for an agreed proportion of the Board. If
agreed,
have regional or category votes to ensure range of representation.

THEN: talk to us about representation.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Crafty people love to talk about "Consensus" as a way of dodging true
democratic
representation and the will of the people.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

This process can, of course, be achieved. It would grow step-by-step but
would
lead to a wonderful and idealistic central principle for the Internet : an
Internet for
the whole world, developed and determined in accordance with the true will
of
ordinary people.

Instead of jumping through ICANN hoops and proposals rigged to ensure the
perpetuation of the existing clique-in-power, we should prioritise the
central will of
ordinary people, set in place rules on responsiveness, openness and
dialogue, and
we should popularise the movement by embracing ICANN's narrow mission but
broadening the debate to the far-reaching implications for the internet and
the world
of democratic representation.

Those governments who believe in democratic representation should embrace
this
ideal and get the vision for an internet which speaks for freedom, justice
and the lives
of millions and millions of human beings... indeed the whole human race.
This is a
vision of a new layer of democracy which - in terms of expression and
solidarity
- supercedes national boundaries, national regimes and national tyrannies.

It really saddens me when I think of the idealistic origins of the net, and
how
sometimes leading figures have compromised their founding ideals. If ICANN
- the central administration of the DNS - espoused this democracy movement,
it
would be offering a lead and a mandate for devlopment of the net in so many
exciting
directions to do with sharing, solidarity, international help,
communication, and the
impulse of a new democratic "event".

But even if you think all this is too big and cloudy and idealistic, there
is absolutely
NOTHING to stop the nurture and growth, from the bottom up, of a
multiplicity of
user groups intent on democratic representation in the affairs of the
Internet. You
don't have to change the world to begin. But from an early stage, ICANN
should
stop making excuses, stop trying to sideline true representation, and
embrace the
reality of this VAST MAJORITY - and promote it instead of cunningly trying
concoct schemes which are more to do with "insiders", and the
self-perpetuation
of a clique whose agenda is going in the wrong, the anti-democratic
direction.

The Internet for All. It's YOUR Internet. It's also an Internet for those
communities
that still await it. We, the people of the world, should accept the nobility
of a good
and just calling - and build what we know is right...

Richard Henderson