[atlarge-discuss] Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] ISOC to bid on .org

An address is needed to prove that one is a resident of California in order to qualify to vote.  One would think this is necessary for most, if not all, states.

Regards,

Micheal Sherrill

From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com>
Date:  Sat, 08 Jun 2002 21:10:02 -0700

Joop and all,

Joop Teernstra wrote:

> On 09:11 a.m. 8/06/2002 -0700, Kent Crispin said:
>
> >As you know, in my opinion the ALSC (and the NAIS) simply ignored the
> >issues of difficulties with elections, and I have documented that pretty
> >thoroughly.  Using domain name registrants doesn't address the issues.
> >Domain name registrations can be bought wholesale for $6;
>
> This possible mass registration "problem" is a red herring that can easily
> be overcome by building an initial voters registry that is

  It isn't a problem anyway.  Whether registrations are in mass or not
is not a relevant valid concern.  Hence hardly worth even discussing
or debating.

> 1. based on registrations that are at least 12 months old

  This seem to very greatly from you comments and statements
in the IDNO as well as the At-Large, Joop.  In any event however
why should a registrant/stakeholder/user be required to wait 12 months
to vote on issues that would effect them or for representatives that
may be in a position that they would determine what may effect them
as well?  How can you justify this?

> 2. applies a simple scrutiny process, like the provision of a name and a
> residential address, to make reasonably (not 100%!) sure that all voters
> are unique individuals.

  Good point here finally Joop.  However residential address (Physical)
is not required in the US for voter registration, nor is it in a number of
other modern democratic countries either.  As such, why should such
a requirement be imposed in this situation?

> 3. has a certain minimum number of voters (5000?) to insure against sudden
> capture by an organized group.

  Well 5000 is not a good number, but yes, a minimum number should be
considered...

> -Joop Teernstra LL.M.--
>    interim webmaster
> www.icannatlarge.com
> Sign up and spread the word.

Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827