Re: [atlarge-discuss] Eligibility & Watchdogs

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joanna Lane" <jo-uk@rcn.com>
To: "Elisabeth Porteneuve" <Elisabeth.Porteneuve@cetp.ipsl.fr>; "Vittorio
Bertola" <vb@vitaminic.net>
Cc: <atlarge-discuss@lists.fitug.de>
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2002 9:00 PM
Subject: [atlarge-discuss] Eligibility & Watchdogs

> 1. ELIGIBILITY
> Eligibility is determined by whether or not your name appears on the
Member
> List at IcannAtLarge.com. If your name does not appear there, you are not
> eligible to vote.

Joanna - if you are going to say this, then you need to supply a link so
that people can make sure they are registered properly.

> The normal cut-off date is the date when the Election has commenced.

No - Election registration Dates for all voting processes I know of have an
official Registration Closing Date and that is usually different than the
start of the election by several days, to allow any slow registration
processes to complete.

> The
> Election is deemed to have commenced when the Announcement message goes
out
> to invite Nominations, hence if the Announcement goes out July 1st, the
> Voting Register is closed on July 1st.

No - this is ambiguous. There needs to be a specific stated cut-off date
listed, not an implied one speficic to when the election starts.

> 2. WATCHDOGS
> There would normally be at least 2 Watchdogs who would be members in good
> standing of the IcannAtLarge.com organization at the time of the Election,
> and obviously, not standing as Candidates.
> Members to the DNSO Watchdog Committee in 2002 were as follows:
>
> Roberto Gaetano
> Harald Alvestrand
> Kent Crispin
> Dany Vandromme
> Izumi Aizu
> Joanna Lane
>
> With the exception of Izumi, who would be ineligible if he were to stood
> again for Election, I do not think any of these individuals are members of
> IcannAtlarge.com. On a personal note, I would add that I do not think it
is
> appropriate for ICANN Staff to act as Watchdogs,

I Agree. No ICANN Staffer, ICANN Employee, or other managerial or agent of
the ICANN operations team should be eligible for status as a watchdog. But
this is more of a regulatory constraint that needs the ratification of the
voting public. I suggest that the first issue on the ballot is the
acceptance of the voting process model. Otherwise the validity of the vote
will be in question.