[atlarge-discuss] Re: Bucharest Follow up- Formation of a Virtual Association-GAFIG

All,

FYI Below are the texts of an email exchange between
myself and E. Dyson on the ALOC discuss list.

________
Email 1:

Esther Dyson wrote:

> Now that we are slightly better organized and have something of a mandate,
> we should start thinking of foundations. Perhaps the German Stiftungen and
> orgs like them, as well as Ford and Soros and the like in the US.  This can
> be very frustrating, but is probably worth the effort.
>
> What we need is not a general letter, but a (brief!) budget outline and a
> fundraising goal...and some specific areas the ALOC/ALAC will focus on,
> such as Whois.  I'd suggest $100K... and did I hear Stuart mention some
> kind of matching idea, where ICANN contributes $1 for every $1 we
> raise?    If I *didn't* hear that, we should suggest it anyway.  ICANN
> should at least meet the ALAC halfway, since in the long run this org
> should not be a stepchild....  It would help our fundraising effort a lot
> to have that kind of (semi) support from ICANN.  (Sure, I wish we could get
> more, but let's take what we can and make the most of it.)
>
> Let's not lose sight of our substantive activities even as we fundraise,
> though.

What are we raising funds for exactly?  Denise Michel went
through close to 20k in a couple months!  I'd like to see
an itemized report of her billing/expenses before getting
involved in raising more funds that will go unaccounted
for...

Sotiris Sotiropoulos
___________
Email 2:

Esther Dyson wrote:

> Honestly, I don't think all this is necessary...yet.  Let's be real: the
> funds are primarily to pay Denise's salary and to fund her operating costs
> - including phone calls, travel, fund-raising and so forth. Right now we
> are not trying to create an *independent* association with a heavy
> governance structure; there are already several of those, and we are
> looking for more. They *are* independent, and they can do what they like,
> and tell ICANN what they want.

So, in other words, the money you wish to have us endorse
collecting is actually for ICANN, to be meted out as Staff
sees fit?  You are the same Esther Dyson who wrote
recently in the Wall Street Journal that ICANN needs more
money.  Don't you think that it's time ICANN started
disclosing financial information to the public's
representatives on its Board?  Or is that a premature step
at this juncture too?

I do not for a moment believe that my organization
(icannatlarge.com) will endorse any ICANN funding until
the members are asked.  So, I cannot add my name (nor my
organization's) as legitimatizing support to any
initiatives to fund ICANN at this time.

Sincerely,

Sotiris Sotiropoulos

How do the members of icannatlarge.com feel about funding
ICANN?  Please speak up and let your voice be heard.  I
will relay to the ALOC any feedback, concerns and/or
messages our members may have on this issue.

Sincerely,

Sotiris Sotiropoulos