Re: [atlarge-discuss] What are we?

On Fri, 05 Jul 2002 12:08:54 -0700, you wrote:

>I am sorry but I just do not understand number 3 of Vittorio's
>suggestion.
>Does it limit our participation to only ICANN matters?
>If so, that makes us subject to their whims it would seem.
>Also it will seriously hamper outreach if we are tied so closely.
>Where did the notion come from that we should be "approved" by ICANN?

Where did you get this impression? I was very careful in stating this point:

>3. defending the role of the public for what related to Internet matters
>currently governed by ICANN, and guiding a discussion about whether and how
>the organization should take part to the internal processes ICANN will
>establish for public input and participation;

So we would:
- defend the role of the public for matters currently governed by ICANN
(which does not imply you have to do it inside ICANN, if you think it's
worthless, and even gives you space to work if matters "currently governed"
by ICANN are to be governed by someone else, or if their mission is going to
be restricted);
- discuss about whether and how the organization should take part to ICANN
(which means that the discussion could end up by saying "we should not
participate any more in ICANN").

Of course, you know, I think we should still participate to the ALAC
formation process (while working outside ICANN too), but that's just my
opinion at this stage. And anyway, the next panel will be able to take its
own decisions on anything.
--
.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo vb.
Vittorio Bertola     <vb@vitaminic.net>    Ph. +39 011 23381220

DISCLAIMER, PLEASE NOTE: This communication is intended only for use by the
addressee. It may contain confidential or privileged information.
Transmission, distribution and/or copy cannot be permitted. Please notify
immediately the sender by replying if you are not the intended recipient.