RE: [atlarge-discuss] My choices for a leadership team

Hello Joanna,

At 16.07.2002 21:46, Joanna Lane wrote:
>Speaking as an European Citizen, I disagree. In an ideal world,
>responsibility for internet governance would be distributed equitably
>throughout the world, but today, 16 July 2002, decisions are being made by
>the US Government in the corridors of power in Washington. Over time,
>geographical diversity will improve, and I look forward to that day, but in
>the meantime, I think a strong US representation is a good thing.

Also speaking as a European Citizen (whatever that means),
I disagree with you.

We cannot solve problems (and the US dominance within ICANN is seen
as one of the major problems by most of the European Internet users
I have talked with) by creating new ones. Turning icannatlarge.com
into a US-led group with the main focus on lobbying US agencies
and Congressmen would definitely alienate international icannatlarge.com
members. According to your logic, representation should follow
power (and thereby reinforce the current power structure). If you
think this through, you will end up (a) selecting the icannatlarge.com
leadership from among the current powerful groups within ICANN
(but this could of course change if other groups gained power...)
and (b) having a one-member United Nations which could move from New
York to Washington (but this could of course change if other groups
gained power). How will geographical diversity improve if we don't
do so ourselves?

Best regards,
/// Alexander