Re: [atlarge-discuss] Foreign language versions of Announce: ICANNATLARGE.com elections starting

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002 09:36:04 -0400, you wrote:

>Vittorio,
>When do you plan to have the Spanish/ other translations of this document
>ready so that non-English speaking members can participate fully in this
>election?

Does anyone volunteer to do this in the various languages? Among the
outreach I am doing, I have contacted several people asking them to
propagate the message locally - I expect that some of them might do it
in their own language. And of course I can do it in Italian. (By the
way: for the moment, we don't have any "preferred language" entry in
members' profile, but we definitely should add it in the future.)

At the end of the message I'm attaching a sort of "short outreach
message" that I've been spreading. Anyone is free to use it if they
consider it useful, or to write their own.

>Who on the panel is preparing a list of questions to put to the candidates,

Personally I don't think the panel should set any "official list of
questions". All members are free to ask what they want. However I've
asked the panel's opinion on this...

>if anybody, and does the panel intend to set a word count for candidate
>statements, so that everybody is on a level playing field?

...and on this too.

---- EXAMPLE OF OUTREACH MESSAGE

Dear all,

icannatlarge.com is an independent, bottom-up effort to self-organize
and represent the public in ICANN-related matters. It currently has
855 members from 77 countries. You can read more about us in our
website or by browsing the archives of atlarge-discuss, our main
discussion list, at http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/ .

Now, as the term for the current icannatlarge.com panel approaches, we
have started a new global election for the next panel. As the
organization aims to supply for the lack of a proper At Large
Membership in ICANN, we really want this election to have good
participation and candidates from all geographical areas.

So, if you're interested in participating, this is what you can do:

- if you're not an icannatlarge.com member yet, go to
http://www.icannatlarge.com/register.php and register; all members
registering before *MONDAY, JULY 22* (GMT) will be allowed to vote;

- suggest your own nominations (or even propose yourself as a
candidate) by posting to the atlarge-discuss mailing list(*) or to the
"Second Elections" forum on the icannatlarge.com website by July 22;
all nominees that accept the nomination by July 23 at midday GMT will
be included in the ballot.

We recommend you to subscribe to the atlarge-discuss list as most of
the campaign will take place there; also, candidate information pages
will possibly be set up on the website.

As you know, the representation of public in ICANN is still under
heavy discussion, and much still must be done to defend it. This is
why I think that these elections deserve all your attention. Also,
please feel free to forward this message to any relevant list or
person (no spamming please).

Regards,

Vittorio Bertola
Current icannatlarge.com Chairman