Re: [atlarge-discuss] Regions

DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:
> Question for the current panel:  At-Large elections have up until now been
> held on a regional basis, with each region selecting the best possible
> director to represent their interests on the Board.
>
> Why aren't we conducting these elections in the same manner so that diversity
> is protected?

     The reason that this election has not been done by regions is that in
90 days, we did not have time to work out the details of which regions or
how it should be done.  We were not doing a simple 5 seats from 5 regions
election, and this is such an important issue, it would benefit from more
discusson and debate.   There are quite a few issues as to the best way to
proceed........ including dealing with the large country issues, which have
been important in Asia (China and Japan by registration in last ICANN
election), Europe (Germany in last ICANN election), North America (USA) and
Latin America (Brazil).   There are lots of possibilities, including caps on
the number of persons from a single country (1, 2 , 3 ?), rotate seats
between countries in regions, etc... and also a relationship between the
size of the board and how regions are defined and treated.  Some too have
suggested creating other types of diversity measures, such as native
language, or topical interests, ideas which are interesting, but not
discussed in much detail so far.

    Right now our priority is to replace the "temporary" panel with
something with more time to work on these issues.

  Jamie

------
James Love, Consumer Project on Technology
http://www.cptech.org, mailto:love@cptech.org
voice: 1.202.387.8030; mobile 1.202.361.3040