Re: [atlarge-discuss] Regions

Jamie and all stakeholders or other interested parties,

  Good answer here Jamie.  90 days for the current panel
was evidently a poor idea in as much as getting very much
of substance accomplished...

Follow-up question on this issue:

  Do any of the current panel members or candidates believe
that the geographical diversity of the ICANNATLARGE.COM
should be a high priority for the next panel to soon be
elected?  How should such a priority be ranked,  low, med.,
high, very high, or the number one priority?

James Love wrote:

> DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:
> > Question for the current panel:  At-Large elections have up until now been
> > held on a regional basis, with each region selecting the best possible
> > director to represent their interests on the Board.
> >
> > Why aren't we conducting these elections in the same manner so that diversity
> > is protected?
>
>      The reason that this election has not been done by regions is that in
> 90 days, we did not have time to work out the details of which regions or
> how it should be done.  We were not doing a simple 5 seats from 5 regions
> election, and this is such an important issue, it would benefit from more
> discusson and debate.   There are quite a few issues as to the best way to
> proceed........ including dealing with the large country issues, which have
> been important in Asia (China and Japan by registration in last ICANN
> election), Europe (Germany in last ICANN election), North America (USA) and
> Latin America (Brazil).   There are lots of possibilities, including caps on
> the number of persons from a single country (1, 2 , 3 ?), rotate seats
> between countries in regions, etc... and also a relationship between the
> size of the board and how regions are defined and treated.  Some too have
> suggested creating other types of diversity measures, such as native
> language, or topical interests, ideas which are interesting, but not
> discussed in much detail so far.
>
>     Right now our priority is to replace the "temporary" panel with
> something with more time to work on these issues.
>
>   Jamie
>
> ------
> James Love, Consumer Project on Technology
> http://www.cptech.org, mailto:love@cptech.org
> voice: 1.202.387.8030; mobile 1.202.361.3040

Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827