[atlarge-discuss] Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] clarification (sort of) on ICANNatlarge.com and other ICANN "at-large" things

Erick and all stakeholders or other interested parties,

Erick Iriarte Ahon wrote:

> On of the principles of the democracy is the diversity of opinion, and
> liberty to make asociations. In this way i support the Alexander idea, of
> diversity of organizations.

  I think just about everyone that is a stakeholders does.  So your point
although well taken and I assume well intended is a bit over stated.

> Nobody have the global voice of users, and each region have differents ways
> to defend their positions.

  INEGroup represents stakeholders/users in over 100 countries today.
We are still small at 128k members though.  None the less there are many
stakeholders/users that share many common solutions, ideas to issues
internet and especially DNS related.

> The Internet is not only in the US Congress, and
> not only the "American User Organizations" defend to all users .

  I don't believe that anyone on this or any other forum has ever said
that the Internet is only in the US Congress or "only the American
User Organizations to defend all users", either.  Hence I find this
comment a bit similar to a paranoid remark...

> Maybe the ICANNatlarge.com is a possibility to coordinate efforts to make a
> better ICANN and better Internet, but we need all point-of-view, and if
> appear more organizations: welcome.. not all groups defend users, another
> use users to take political positions.

  To take "All" political positions means what exactly?  I read this as
something that is not only not possible but purposefully confusing as well.
Perhaps it is your use of the english language I am confused with?
In any event, it is true that many different organizations in many different
countries represent different and similar points of view as well as
shared ideas on internet related issues.  This is a good thing.  However
ICANN now with it's "Blueprint" will eliminate those voices and votes
on those issues and make their "internally own" decisions as to what is
best for the stakeholders/users in those very same stakeholder/users
names.  Is that representative?  I don't believe it is.

> Erick Iriarte Ahon
>
> At 02:31 p.m. 18/07/2002 +0200, Alexander Svensson wrote:
>
> >Just a few comments:
> >
> >At 18.07.2002 07:10, James Love wrote:
> > >4.   A few days after the ICANNatlarge.com election Esther and Denise
> > >announced that there would be yet another ICANN sponsored effort, this one
> > >using at-large.org, a site first registered to Kent Crispin.   The new
> > >"at-large" effort appeared to be run by Esther and Denise.  The Esther and
> > >Denise effort created a new "At Large Organizing Committee"  made up of
> > >people who represent organizations, with a few dozen members.   There is no
> > >evidence that this group actually meets, votes, makes decisions or does much
> > >more than appear on a web page, but it has a lot of nice well meaning people
> > >involved.  http://www.at-large.org/at-large-members.htm. In Bucharest
> > >Esther and Denise explained that this group would not have votes, but would
> > >find ways to learn what the public thought... it was sort of an outreach or
> > >focus group for public input, but one basically managed top down, rather
> > >than bottom up, and in keeping with the deep hostility of the ICANN board to
> > >anything remotely democratic, it did not even insist on the right to elect
> > >its own leaders, which seemed to allow Esther and Densie to run it however
> > >they like, without any need to explain "why them?"
> >
> >You are (mis)portraying ICANNatlarge.com and the ALOC as two
> >competing entities. In fact, ICANNatlarge.com is represented
> >/on/ the ALOC. But I'm not trying to defend what the ALOC does
> >or doesn't do: The point is that I believe it would be a bad
> >idea if user organizations started to fight against each other
> >to become the Single Authoritative Voice of the Users. I
> >believe we need an interface between a multitude of user
> >organizations and ICANN. And someone has to reach out to
> >user organizations worldwide (which is what Denise Michel is
> >doing). Of course, that interface must be composed of and
> >elected by user organizations in the end.
> >
> >Best regards,
> >/// Alexander

Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827