Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: Call for New Webmaster, ICANNatlarge voting reminder

At 07:45 p.m. 31/07/2002 -0400, James Love wrote:

What is the difference between a special right and a special duty? What if other members of ICANNatlarge.com decide they have a duty to share something? Should they be able to spam the membership? Who decides?
Every member is currently free to email whomever he likes.
Each member is responsible for his own actions. I am for mine. You are for yours. The future webmaster will be for hers/his.
Rules need to be written, and the new Panel will have to spend some thought on how they are going to be enforced.

The content was nothing special, but that is not the point. I get a lot of mail every day, and I don't expect to get spammed from icannatarge.
If the content is not the point, then the "authority" is.
Your point is "why didn't he ask us first?"
I give you the reasons below.

 >> 2.  What is news@icannatlarge.com ?
An updated Icannatlarge announce list to which the Chair of the new Panel will get the key. The new webmaster will have to keep this list updated.
I don't think it is your job to create new announce lists for icannatlarge, even if you think you have something important to share.
That list was created long before the first Panel even came into existence. I sent the first Panel election announcement to it as well.

3. Do you intent to choose your own replacement, or will you allow the elected panel to do this?
The elected Panel must bear the responsibility , or they can let the whole membership endorse their choice.
Please note that I am asking volunteers to publicly post their application so that there will be no back room deals. Is that perhaps what upsets you and Sotiris?
What exactly do you mean by back room deals? Don't be so coy if you have something to say, particularly in a message addressed to me.
What I mean is the kind of proposal we have seen from an elected interim Panel member, now published.
What I mean is that *all* members of the interim Panel have to realize that their mandate is up and that they has no member-given authority to try and wrest control of the keys at the last moment before a new election.

What my complaint has been is that you were running the web page like your personal web page. Now we have Joop's personal announce list. I don't think this shows much judgement as to how one builds a membership organization. Next time you want to spam the membership, ask the panel if they think its ok, first.
I defer to your better judgement, Jamie about how to motivate co-operative volunteers for a membership organization.

If I *had* asked the Panel members, would I have had to include the candidates who are running in the election? Would it proper if they had anything to do with a message that goes out to the voters during their election?

Did I not decline my own participation in the election because I am still running the website?
As long as the Panels do not get staggered terms, the webmaster must provide continuity between elections. He must have a certain amount of freedom, especially when it concerns matters of resignation and transition.

I announced a few days ago that I would send a call for a new webmaster to the whole membership. That was your time as a ex- interim Panel member to raise your objection against my freedom to do that.

You are barking up the wrong tree. Focus on what Esther Dyson is doing about the At Large. Focus on Denise and Vittorio.
The net effect of all this barking is that it will be more difficult to find an independent, knowledgeable, sincere and dedicated professional to do the icannatlarge webmastering job.

<snip>

     Maybe you can let the election finish before turning this into a circus.
Nah, this thread you have started is useful, both for the voters and as orientation for the future webmaster.
My message calling for a new webmaster and making sure that the call is not limited to this non- transparent list was not circus.
A voting reminder for the purpose of increasing voter participation, was not circus either.

But the argument about it reveals more about some candidates priorities than any election statement ever could.

--Joop