Re: [atlarge-discuss] ALAC Conference call (continued)

All,

Sorry for breaking off in midstride like that.  Let's see, I left off at

Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:
<snip>

> Denise Michel was skeptical about providing the
> details of how elections and direct representation can be
> ironed out in two weeks [i.e. prior to the August 16
> deadline for this draft for the ERC].  Peter Shane
> (InSITeS - Institute for the Study of Information
> Technology and Society, www.cmu.edu/insites) stated that
> Esther's amendments to the proposal do have merit, but he
> added that his group is not an advocacy group, and he was
> concerned about representations regarding his
> association's official position as per its membership's
> collective views on the issues.  He was specifically
> concerned by the idea of deferment of elections and he
> stressed the fact that he lacked any mandate from his
> organization to take a position on the delay or deferment
> of elections.

...CONTINUED:

I expressed my satisfaction and agreement with Peter's Shane's
reservations and concern(s).  Gabriel Piñeiro, (LatinoamerICANN,
www.latinoamericann.derecho.org.ar) stated that elections are appropriate
_after_  structure is determined.  Peter Shane thought the ALAC
composition needs to be addressed and that the substance of Vittorio's
plan may be too complex for average Users and the general public to
understand, let alone participate in.  [the notes are rather haphazard
from this point forward as the conference was somewhat disjointed and I
am not a professional scribe]  At some point, Esther expressed a concern
over getting people to do work, and floated the idea of an ALAC Executive
body which actually does the work (or at least those who do the work
among them will eventually become apparent, as well as those who don't)
and that this might actually spur people to be more productive as opposed
to self-defeating..  Esther Dyson thought it would be prudent to apprise
the DOC and other public bodies of ALAC efforts and progress.  Izumi Aizu
expressed concern over disenfranchising some countries an wished for the
ALAC to articulate the notion that when and if a developing countries
at-large structure(s) wish to take part in ALAC efforts, they would be
treated in an equitable/fair manner.  I mentioned Jefsy Morfin and his
france@large and asked whether Denise was in communication with Jefsey
over the inclusion of his france@large, Denise Michel responded that she
had been in contact with Jefsey and that she had simply fallen behind in
her update duties as webmaster for at-large.org. Edmundo Valenti,
(Internet Society Argentina Chapter, www.isoc.org.ar) thought it was
important to work within ICANN to bring abot any changes, he expressed
support for an At-Large presence on the Nominating Comittee, and he was
particularly concerned with effecting a regional approach to the At-Large
and any elections that may or may not happen at some point in the
future.  I stated that it was important to clarify ALAC membership
criteria and how/by whom criteria will be applied; also that it would
probably be a good idea to clarify that should the ALAC proceed that it
should be viewed as open-ended and evolving (i.e. that it might have room
to expand its role if necessary at a later time and not be pigeon-holed
from the get-go).  Núria de la Fuente Teixidó, (STEC - Sistemas Técnicos
de Enseñanza Consultores, www.stec.info) thought it important to take the
necessary steps -- i.e. to identify main actors and build communities;
it's hard to talk about an election without a structure; ALAC ought to
try to put At-Large inside ICANN but to emphasize education, outreach,
and a bottom-up approach to the ALAC so it listens to people.  I
suggested a web form which would forward directly to all members of the
ALAC or some such direct input vehicle.  I also asked about whether ALAC
discussions, drafts and topics could be shared with ICANNAtLarge.com
members to which the reply was affirmative.  Denise asked that the
discussion continue and focus on *details* of how an ALAC might be
structured and function.

That's where the teleconference ended.  If I missed or misrepresented
anything, Denise, Izmi, and Esther are all on this list and they can
point it out.

Sincerely,

Sotiris Sotiropoulos
        ICANNAtLarge.com ALOC Representative