[atlarge-discuss] Re: Outreach (was [atlarge-discuss] Re: Judyth's comments onscale and legitimacy)

Further to the name confusion issue and despite my comment about alphabet soup, how about "WECAN" -- World Electronic Commons Action Network strikes me as a useful project with a name that is memorable enough in English, not impossible to translate, and has just a touch of resonance with what's wrong with ICANN. Personally, I'd see it as an organization which admits of individual memberships open to all but which is also open to membership by organizations (big and small, national and otherwise) sharing the goal of keeping the Internet a public resource.

At 07:41 -0700 2002/08/04, eric@hi-tek.com wrote:
>Outreach is more of a sticky wicket than one might think.
[...]

But it does happen on many fronts, sometimes to good effect. Here's an example in French:

>Pourquoi pas une société de la communication?
>En octobre 2002, le Congrès mondial des réseaux citoyens permettra de
>dégager une plate-forme sur la fracture numérique qui représente les
>intérêts de la société civile et d'alimenter le débat en vue du Sommet
>mondial sur la société de l'information de 2003. Un débat qui doit être
>abordé en termes d'accès à la culture, à l'éducation et à la participation
>citoyenne et non du point de vue de l'information, des infrastructures et
>des équipements comme il est parti pour l'être.
>Consultez
><http://www.whrnet.org/fr/archive/nouvelles/juillet_10_02.htm#news3> pour
>de plus amples informations.

My quick-and-dirty translation:

Why not a Communication Society?
In October 2002, the World Congress of Citizens' Networks will permit the  articulation of a platform on the digital divide which will represent the interests of civil society and to fuel the debate leading up to the World Summit on the Information Society in 2003 -- a debate which must be in terms of access to culture, education and citizen participation and not in terms of data, infrastructure and equipment as has been assumed. For more information, see ...
Women's Human Rights Net  http://www.whrnet.org, an international network of organizations working for the human rights of the world's women and seeking to use the information and communications technologies to that end.

A monthly e-mail newsletter in French is published in conjunction with Cybersolidaires: send a message to <whrnet-nouvelles-l-request@whrnet.org> with the subject "subscribe" or see

Abonnez-vous à WHRnet-nouvelles
http://www.cybersolidaires.org/nous/whrnet.html

Any reactions?

Regards,

Judyth
(unable to vote but not unable to think)

Judyth Mermelstein     "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
Montreal, QC           <espresso@e-scape.net>
ICANN At Large Member No. 374546 since July 2000