[atlarge-discuss] Recruitment, the Web and Internet (lack of) rights

The messages quoted below are exactly the sort of thing that I think an Internet users' organization should be monitoring, publicizing and commenting upon in the right quarters to effect change.

As far as I'm concerned, they're a good reason why ICANN's notion of excluding ordinary people and allowing (a limited number of) governments to control Internet structures is a serious mistake to be prevented by all means at our disposal.

Those means are precious few, admittedly, but the BIG one is plain old e-mail ... which makes it possible for me to receive a French news agency's report on China from a fellow-activist in Nunavut who got it from a professor in Australia, while that same message has no doubt followed other routes around the world dozens of times since yesterday.

The networks for widely distributing information are there and ready-to-use.  They have proven their value in dealing with every kind of issue that matters to the public but is not adequately covered by the mass-media, and enabled the formation of world-wide coalitions and collaborative efforts like this list.

Web sites are wonderful, of course, for making longer documents or groups of documents available, for showing the power of linking between groups of widely-dispersed people, and for collecting the all-important sign-ups from members/volunteers. But in reality people have to know your URL and what you're for before they will visit your site, at least unless there are many links to it from sites where people are likely to go.

I'm very glad there is a site for this organization but, having finally managed to register myself, I have to confess I am not impressed by its accessibility. I use an elderly Mac, not a newish Windows box with a large high-resolution screen, and a dial-up connection rather than broadband. Even with display of graphics turned off, some of those pages load rather slowly. The text is set wide, making it necessary to scroll horizontally for each and every line. The registration page itself wouldn't be bad ... but it says the blue fields are mandatory and nothing showed up in blue (even though I've got a working colour monitor and was using it rather than my other machine whose display is full-page but monochrome) and the drop-down list for choosing one's country merely highlights instead of scrolling. (This latter problem is fairly common, even on pages like that one which have other drop-down lists which work fine.) It took several tries to submit the form successfully, and I'm just lucky that apparently the country is not one of the mandatory items.

I'm known to be a nitpicker about things like that and I often get the response that it isn't worth the trouble to make sites fully accessible because most people use equipment less than four years old, Windows and MSIE or Netscape with all the latest bells and whistles, and fast or broadband connections; also, most people don't have handicaps which require screen-readers or other special help using the Web. It's a common response from government departments, the World Bank, etc. and most companies who are, after all, on the Web to sell something to more affluent consumers.

For an organization like this one, though, I believe it's a MAJOR mistake. At the very least, if we can't manage a site that "degrades gracefully' and poses a minimum of obstacles for the visitor who has managed to get that far, we should be thinking about an alternative procedure for registration, ordering copies of documents, etc. by e-mail. As can easily be seen from moves to monitor Internet use in some countries and from the calls for donated equipment which can be sent to countries like Haiti and Ghana, any work to build a worldwide and democratic organization will need to accomodate people whose access is limited and/or precarious.

Personally, I'd like to see the site itself made fully accessible to even the first-generation text browsers, and an e-mailed newsletter (naturally including instructions for subscribing to this list by e-mail and on the Web, joining, etc.) which covers the major events related to the organization's mission. Personally, I can't see recruitment being terribly successful unless the organization is committed to doing what it takes to make sure the Internet is there for everyone.

Regards,

Judyth la pomme
--

<< start of forwarded material >>