Re: [atlarge-discuss] 006 Deciding Name for Organisation

At 01:39 PM 8/9/2002, Richard Henderson wrote:

I must add, out of respect to everyone, that although I will fight all the
way for a broader organisation, I will accept a narrower mission statement
if I have to. But I will then try to pursue an outreach policy with
like-minded people, packaging this mission in broader terms, and setting out
to attract 100's of thousands of people in the end anyway.

The really exciting prospect for this organisation is trying to do something
new and dynamic : using the technology to create a new kind of community.
And, in the process, demonstrating just how small and illegitimate ICANN
really is.
Friday, August 09, 2002 * 3:11 PM EDT USA

Boy, Richard says it for me here as well.

Hans, I'm sure we're discussing the same fundamental principles, but there
are all kinds of different people in this organisation with different
expectations. So I suggest you fight the narrow specific battle (a battle I
entirely agree with) and myself and others with a similar view will fight
the broad battle to recruit large numbers of people. I personally believe in
the medium term that the battle will be won, not by finely-tuned arguments
with ICANN on the old battlefields, but by dagger-like attacks like those,
combined with the "overwhelming force" of a worldwide public movement.
Probably, both strategies are needed. But I urge that we don't jeopardise
either.
Richard, count me in in the broader battle as well.

/s/ Joey

Put your action where your... err... speech is! Create your personal volunteer profile at http://www.icannatlarge.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=19 and tell everyone what you have done, and/or can do, and/or are willing to do -- NOW! :-)

(Please at least book mark the above link.)