Re: [atlarge-discuss] 006 Deciding Name for Organisation

Jefsey and all stakeholders, panel members, or other interested parties,

J-F C. (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:

> On 03:07 10/08/02, Joanna Lane said:
> > > Our branding is to use it everywere: gac@large, isoc@large, ietf@large as
> > > there is france@large.
> > > To extend the concept, because @large is @large everywhere.
> >
> >Let me throw this into the mix. There is merit in keeping it short and going
> >for simply "At Large" then branding it as internet related in the outreach
> >campagns. Regional offices would then be atlarge.cctld. As it happens, none
> >of the extensions are in use  - .com/ .net, .org. and I believe Atlarge.org
> >is for sale at about US$300.00. I registered atlarge.us a while ago, so no
> >problem there if needed. I also have InternetStakeholders, which is not
> >being used at this time, if anybody sees value in that.
>
> Dear Joana,
> there are several outreach/image issues here.
>
> 1. the "@" is the symbol of the Internet
> 2. "at large" are now well established as the users and we want to give a
> feeling of strength
> 3. we all want to show we are "here", everywhere, so we must have a
> consistent way of showing it for countries, organizations we enter, cities.
> The future of the @large - and hopefully its freedom - is the local wi-fi.
> new-york@large must be the target for you, or portland@lorge for bruce.
>
> "The place we hold" - "the internet we care" - "the at large we are"

  This is all nice Jefsey and you PR phrasing is very good too.  But
let me again remind you that now with the ALOC, ALAC, and
Esther and Denise's propagation of the therm(s) "@large or
"At-Large" and their current user in existing Domain names
confusion would if not already has ensued as well as has been
stained by the bad reputation ICANN has given these terms.
Hence, although I respect your idea and opinion here, I think
we should not associate ourselves in a new name with the
terms "@large or At-large or ATLarge" ...

> This maies a "flying eagle" logo which hits and go through - without TM
> issue, what is not the case with atlarge.com
>
> Now in a practical way, we have no reason to pay any buck, and probably a
> lot of money for what we have for free (SS proosed worldatwide.org several
> times - can you confirm Sotiris.). If you can have atlarge.org it would be
> perfect to complet it. Then the address will be:
>
> http://us.atlarge.org
> http://newyork.atlarge.org
> so everyone knows where we are. (As you know this does not mean that the
> sites are on the same machines).

  Understood.  However the term(s) "@large or At-Large or even
Atlarge" are already stained badly and also if we as an organization
use these terms, would cause confusion with ALAC, ALOC and
the Atlarge.org - Esther and Denesies At-large effort..  Therefore
we have no distinction.

> But what we want is to hammer "@large" everywhere. The ICANN must use it,
> we have to make it ours. This a way to impose us into the ICANN through the
> press.
>
> IMHO the memo that Hans wants to send on elections is to be made a press
> release.
> We have to work out a standard footing for that and put a special part on
> the site.
> jfc

Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827