[atlarge-discuss] Atlarge-discuss summary 11 Aug - 17 Aug 2002

atlarge-discuss list
Archives: http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss

Summary, 11 Aug 2002 - 17 Aug 2002

Joey Borda wrote about incorporation and legal matters: it's very simple
to get incorporated (consider in The Hague or Geneva, but the place is
above all symbolic) - but expensive.
>The hard part is writing a substantial charter, though a brief one is
>typically acceptable, laying out the organizations purposes that typically
>have more to do with taxation issues than anything.
>
>The even harder part is writing the by-laws, unless you want to settle on
>the typical corporate (profit and non-profit) boiler plate that vests all
>authority in a board of directors.

Eric Dierker strongly asked to not spread hatred against lawyers or any
other group.

There was an extensive discussion about the organisation's name to be
decided.
Many suggestions, discussion about how proposed names translate in
different languages, relation with domain names, extension(s) to be
used, if the name should contain 'icann' and/or 'atlarge' and other
criteria.
The members Jefsey Morfin, Sotiris Sotiropoulos, Giampaolo Bonora,
Judith Oppenehimer own some domain names that could be used.
Jefsey, extending the name debate to organization and the access to the
sites, said:
>2. the organization - we can only be a confedration of interest. That
>confederation can only be built to the image of the Internet governance.
the available sites could be a main entry point and WG sites.
Judith:
>The multitude of names I find very confusing.  Were I an internet user
>contemplating joining this organization, I'd expect it to have *a* name.
>Not a different name for every day of the week and time zone.

Sotiris Sotiropoulos:
>I have set up the Post-Nuke CMS at
>http://worldatlarge.org/index.php
Some comments. Vittorio Bertola asked to discuss in WG about website and
take formal decisions on the webmaster, hosting, structure of the new
website, before start working on implementation.

Jefsey also suggested to add a WG Network system, and asked if anyone is
interested in form a WG on the new Small Business Constituency

Hans Klein made an invitation to participate in WG-ICANN, that
will develop specific proposals and inputs to ICANN.

Vittorio Bertola, linking the election's theme with WG on Identity
verification as strictly interconnected, communicated his purpose to
start working on next week.

Richard Henderson, after having set up a structure for monitoring the
growth of the movement, made a call for volunteers on WG-OUTREACH:
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0208/msg00765.html
which Judyth Mermelstein answered to, with comments from her experience.
In another message Judyth, as professional translator, put some words of
warning about translation issues, mainly about the use of webtools for
'instant translation', making some examples.

Joey added a suggestion to create a purely social, completely unofficial
space like a "chat room" or a "student union":
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0208/msg00630.html

and, after a suggestion from Eric Dierker, exchanged some views with
Judyth Mermelstein about the existing Digital Divide.

Strictly ICANN-related topics:
Thomas Roessler, asked by Hans Klein pointed to detailed procedures to
elect an ICANN director to the place that Alejandro Pisanty holds until
Sept., 30:
>The detailed procedures are available at
><http://www.dnso.org/elections/2002.DNSO-ICANN-nomination-proc.html>.
>If you go to that URL, and subsequently to the icann-nominations
>archive, you'll notice that Alejandro Pisanty himself is the most
>likely candidate to emerge from that election
Danny Younger nominated YJ Park and Hans suggests to support a
candidate:
>I believe we should support a candidate.  That candidate could speak out on behalf of users

Sotiris submitted the notes from the ALAC teleconference held August 9,
2002.
There was two long threads on this, starting at this page:
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0208/thrd23.html
The debate was about the participation to this group, or to ALOC, or
even to any ICANN initiative.
Many voices against the participation. Vittorio defended his presence
there; in his opinion refuse to stay in ALOC basically mean to refuse
working with ICANN in any way. Bret Fausett, Lawrence Solum asked how
otherwise influence ICANN policies and the steps to be required to
eventually replace ICANN.
Danny Younger, who would reject the ALAC concept (Advisory Committee) in
favor of a real Support Organisation, said that a platform for
communication does exist, but it's necessary to correct the present
perception:
>The At-Large is probably viewed by the Board as a
>bunch of malcontents, that never spend any time on the day-to-day ICANN
>issues (transfers, WLS, WHOIS), and have nothing better to do than to work to
>destroy ICANN... The At-large has nothing
>because it has no strength and because it's leaders haven't demonstrated any
>resolve.
Joop Teernstra advised to build some bargaining strenght (Numbers,
Democratic constitution, connections with the media, credibility of our
leaders) before 'negotiate' with ICANN.
Richard Henderson et al. said that this group is a top-down initiative,
ERC-appointed, and many people joined this organisation because they
wanted an agenda which represented them.

Focusing WG-ICANN topics, Hans Klein said:
>1. ERC (Evolution and Reform Committee)
>This group could draft submit a brief, but more principled input.  This
>might not be acceptable to the Board, but it would demonstrate that the
>ERC-appointed group is not the only group to provide input.
He pointed also on National Government Hearings and asked to identify
issues and possible inputs for the Shanghai Meeting.

Judith Oppenheimer pointed to a Karl Auerbach's recent message to DNSO
list:
http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga-full/Arc10/msg04998.html
and Joey Borda commented and integrated with other references:
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0208/msg00783.html

Some other posts and pointers to interesting news.