Re: [atlarge-discuss] Report to the ERC from the ALAC-AG (2/2)

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 19:59:59 +0100, you wrote:

>I can't see any way other than regions of ensuring that
>the interests of users worldwide are represented in a
>workable way.

In fact, the Advisory Group (and this is a point which I particularly
supported, even if other members disagreed) does not suggest a specific
internal structure for the Regional Organizations, other than they must have
a Council.

This is a key point because of the great diversity among the Regions - for
example, the AG members from Latin America really want to have a Council
made of 5 seats, and this is fine, but in my view 5 seats would be too few
in Europe, where we have so many countries and languages. On the other hand,
some Regions might consider country-based representation, either with "1
country 1 seat" or with weights, while in others distinctions by country
doesn't even make much sense (ie North America). So you really need each
Region to self-organize in the most suitable way.

And I also think that Regions should foster the birth of national and local
groups, but again, they should not limit too much their freedom and shape.
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------
--------> http://bertola.eu.org/ - Archivio FAQ e molto altro... <--------