[atlarge-discuss] RE: From Politech: European Commission-funded paper likes open source for .gov

Jeff Williams wrote:

>Subject:  FC: European Commission-funded paper likes open source for
> .gov

Yeah, I read about this.  I've been a big fan of the open source movement,
but at a distance: until it needs to be someting I need to know for my job
I'm not in a hurry to learn it.  I see Linux partucularly as being in the
same level of development as DOS/Windows 3.X, i.e.: a GUI running over a
real-mode operating system, and you still have to deal way too much with the
conmmand-line interface to do anything.  Sorry!  Been there!  Don't want to
go back!  When It's mature enought to load device drivers and make deep
system changes from within the GUI, then I'll play.

But I'm a fan of the technology none the less, and if I were in my 20's I'd
be jumping into it with both feet!

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon USA
bruce@barelyadequate.info