RE: [atlarge-discuss] OUTREACH FYI: TOUGH EU PRIVACY RULES

Judyth,
I agree with you, but I think (may be wrong) that the EU privacy directive
is pointed at controlling the aggregation of data that occurs without the
public's prior knowledge and consent, through cookies and the like. What
concerns us is the nature and extent of consent that members will be
granting to us when they sign up. We must balance the public's right to
privacy and not to be spammed with being kept informed and consulted on
policy decision making in a timely manner. We cannot claim to be a bottom up
policy making organization if we never ask the members what they think.

Regards,
Joanna