[atlarge-discuss] as WE wish (wa : As the Chair wishes...)

Dear Satyajit,
we all are learning how to develop the @large. It is actually a key task for the Internet. I would even say it is to develop the real Internet. With all the countries, all the cultures, all the different styles, all the interests. This will continue (if the IETF iDN task force plays well) with the natural languages being supported by the DNS, etc..

It is true that Joanna is learning too. And we learn how to work together and how to support her. And from her: did you ever chaired @large effort? I did not. She took the job, I did not. Off hats!

I am certainly upset too at some actions of her. And I too do not hesitate to tell her. Since you made your protest public, I am making mine too so you see you are not alone and the members that we do not hide anything, but also that there is not a split in the Panel. This is transparency and that effort is to be a plus for us all. It takes times, sorry but we only are human.

I have proposed many things and I am disregarded too.
The whole process is disappointing? True.
We could move much faster? True.
We could be far better organized and efficient? True.
The panel members do not even understand the obvious? True.

But just a minute ... we are ones of them. Each of us. We are not building a brilliant system for the world to see (at least right now). We are building "us".

And that IS what exciting and great. Because at the end of the day "we" are the network. And once we are established, we will manage it together. A network is just that: to be together. We will run the root if we want, we will develop standards. We will relate with ISPs, etc.. no just us, but all of us, all those we will join where they are - not them joining us. This is slow, this is frustrating, this is a lot of things, but I do think that at the end of the day - as Joey would say - it is illuminating and great.

Now, Satyajit, you have solutions in some areas. I have others in other areas. Joanna has in some areas of her. etc. It will certainly take time before every of us understand the obvious from the others. Before we tune our propositions so they fit others' expectations. But each time we do that, we build something strong and stable. And we can be proud of it.

I must be candid, Joanna did upset me many times in the past and now. And I certainly upset her more often. The, I learned her stamina during the BoD campaign. I heard what she said in Montevideo.

Joop was a good friend at times and at other times he insulted me. I fought his icannatlagre.com control. But I do think he is right over the mailing list right now and the panel wrong. And I do trust him. Brothers at arms is what we build.

I campaigned against Danny when he was a very poor Chair for the GA (the Chair is always very poor) and I believe Danny is just a great future Chair for the SME Constituency.

Did I not upset you with my first mail to you?

Judith is certainly upsetting me at wanting to confuse a Wiki with everything which is not a wiki, and I certainly upset her at telling her that a wiki is a blackboard where everyone contributes, not a mail, not an ICQ, not a web page, etc. And sometime I will eventually understand what she wants to say .....

YJ Park is a person I do respect a lot for all what she accomplished at the NC, at the Minc, at NCDNHC. I support her a lot of the coming event in Montreux ... but I certainly object to her push for conference calls. Every one knows that I will always exclude myself from such exercises. And then ?

This is the way we build.

Look at Eric, Joey, Erik, Judyth, etc. etc.. AMon us you have a very important role as every of us. You represent, with Vivek, a great culture, a large country while at the same time you cannot afford a costly access. So you represent the interests of people we want to defend too, but of who you live the problems. Only you can tell us about the outreach there. You want to deal with Incorporation and Funding. No one in our group can better defend the interest of our largest @large potential community: those who are not yet Internet enlighten users, as Eric wants to represent the "dotcommers".

We build. We build together.

IETF has an expression: "rough consensus". In a slightly different meaning, this is rough consensus i here, sometimes swell, sometimes rough. And this is GOOD ! This is real democracy. Democracy is not that much votes and transparency; it is the voice of the people.

You expressed your voice, I expressed mine. So many others did and I hope will. Now, using you "nay" let try to help ourselves into what we urgently need: a working motion system where we can propose motions.

Is that OK with us?
jfc