From: "Bruce Girard" <bgirard@comunica.org>
To: crisinfo@comunica.org
Subject: [CRIS Info] letter to WSIS re communication practices
Sender: Crisinfo-admin@comunica.org
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 14:26:49 +0200

CRIS Info is a public list for information and questions about the campaign for Communication Rights in the Information Society (CRIS) http://crisinfo.org
<

This letter regarding the WSIS communication practices and the upcoming informal meeting on content and themes was sent from CRIS to the WSIS yesterday September 2.

A message distributed by the Civil Society Division (CSD) of the WSIS Secretariat today (September 3) offers an explanation for why NGOs were not previously informed of the meeting. While the invitation was issued August 9, the programme, including such issues as how many would speak, was only decided September 2. According to the message: "In order not to raise expectations that would not be fulfilled, it was seen more appropriate to send out the invitation after the role and time dedicated to civil society was clearly established."

The CSD message details the proposed procedures for the first day of the meeting. For civil society this will be a maximum of 4 presentations, each one up to 10 minutes with up to 10 additional minutes for questions. The afternoon will be a discussion. The second and third day of the meeting are open only to government delegates.

bg
---------------

Pierre Gagné, Executive Director
WSIS Secretariat
c/o ITU
Place des Nations
1211 Geneva 20, Switzerland

CC: 	Adama Samassekou, Chair, WSIS Preparatory Process
	Alain Clerc, Director, Civil Society Division, WSIS Secretariat
	Members of CRIS and the civil society plenary

I am writing you on behalf of the steering committee of Communication Rights in the Information Society (CRIS). CRIS works to ensure that communication rights are central to the World Summit on the Information Society. Further information about CRIS can be obtained from www.crisinfo.org. I was also the co-chair of the civil society plenary formed by some 150 representatives of civil society organisations at the Geneva PrepCom in July.

We were surprised when one of our members consulted the WSIS website last week and discovered the invitation to the Informal Meeting on Content and Themes to be held in Geneva September 16-18. While the invitation is addressed to civil society organisations, to the best of our knowledge no civil society organisations, not even those accredited to PrepCom 1, were informed that they had been invited. Civil society organisations will
only be aware of this invitation if they happen to visit the WSIS website. (Ironically, NGOs are more likely to learn about the upcoming meeting from UNESCO, which mentioned it in the August 28 edition of WebWorld, an electronic newsletter delivered by email.)

One request we have made repeatedly in meetings with the secretariat is that the WSIS adopt appropriate communication practices that avoid an over-reliance on the WWW. We pointed out that it is not effective simply to put information on the WSIS website. Few people visit websites to see if a meeting has been scheduled, let alone to see if they have been invited to it. This is especially true for people in less-industrialised countries with
limited access to the Internet.

We sought, and received, assurances from WSIS Secretariat staff that your communication practices would address our concerns. However, if the case of the invitation to the meeting on content and themes is an example of current practices, they are most definitely not addressing our concerns. Merely posting an invitation to an important meeting on a website is not acceptable and does not inspire confidence in the WSIS as an open and transparent process that truly seeks broad participation from all sectors. You have lists with names, emails, fax numbers and postal addresses of the civil society organisations accredited to the PrepCom. Why were they not directly informed of the meeting? Were others directly informed of the meeting? If they were, what is the justification for the differential treatment?

We are convinced that if the WSIS is to be a success it must have open and transparent communication practices. We urge you to immediately review your communication practices and to implement a policy that will facilitate broad involvement in the WSIS. As a starting point, this policy must ensure that interested civil society organisations are treated with the same concern and respect as governments, international agencies, ITU sector members and private sector entities. Other elements of this policy could include increasing the publication frequency of the WSIS newsletter (as well as reviewing its editorial policy), instituting opt-in lists for people who would like to be informed of changes to your website, and supporting NGOs in the production and dissemination of materials relevant to the information society and the WSIS.

Among our membership we have organisations and individuals with a vast experience – spanning government, civil society and the private sector – in the design and implementation of communication approaches. If you want to design and implement appropriate communication practices, we will be willing to work with you.

Yours sincerely,

Bruce Girard
CRIS Steering Committee

---And here's what the letter is about: