Re: [atlarge-discuss] 003 WG-WEB Judyth's Straw Poll

Joanna Lane wrote:

> Judyth wrote:-

  My vote below, along with my comments below Joanna's and some
suggestions...

> - snippage -

> > receipt of a Panel resolution to that effect.
> >
> > ___ Yes       __x_ No          ___ Abstain
> >

> > Member Name: Joanna Lane
>

> Comments: Years of working in film and television has taught me that it will
> be extremely difficult if not impossible to run this website effectively on
> a day to day basis by committee. This is one of the areas on which Joop and
> I agree. The hurdles to a consensus decision are incompatible with providing
> any kind of timely service, especially news orientated.

  News oriented can be segmented out with a third level DOmain Name
such as news.worldatlarge.org or whatever second level domain name
is determined or voted upon by the members.

  Content of the "Main" web site as well as a new voting method/system
should be and can be a list vote in order to determine by issue(s) we
as a body can vote upon.  The Panel was never envisioned nor specified
as to do so by edict without members approval.

> My suggestion is to appoint three individuals, each with clearly defined
> duties.

  Appoint, no.  Vote for or hire, yes...  By appointing some content,
if not allot will be the wish of a few, and not reflect in some if not many
of the members as a body's determination.

> WG-WEB could formulate those job descriptions, solicit volunteers
> and recommend suitable individuals for the roles, then the Panel could
> endorse/ make the final decision and we would all let them get on with the
> job - with the longer term decisions - such as innovative improvements being
> made through WG-WEB.

  All final decisions must be made by the members vote directly or
after a election of actual representatives of the Members.  The Panel
does not qualify, and again, was not envisioned nor elected to
carry forward such broad sweeping powers for such decisions
that may reflect upon the membership.

> To be fair to Joop, he never had any proper design brief, appropriate
> editorial guidance, and he has been doing 3 jobs, which I would describe as
> Webmaster, Web Writer and Web Designer. It is hardly surprising to me that
> it has all gone a little wrong, but putting a committee to work out the day
> to day minutiae, is not the answer IMHO. It would bring something that ought
> to be vibrant and innovative to a grinding halt - as a 1000 design and
> editorial decisions undergo a procedure equivalent to the election of a
> nation state president. It won't fly.

  Agreed that each and every editorial decision cannot be made by the
membership as a whole, and above I am not nor do I believe that
Judyth is suggesting such in her poll.  I voted in this poll in the negative
as the resolution was unclear, not direct enough and not detailed
enough...

  I do however a editorial board for the Web site or the elected
representatives, not the Panel, should make day to day or week
to week editorial decisions for the Web page based upon Joanna's
WG-WEB thought for input and consideration on a case by case
basis.  This will obviously require that such a Editorial board or
elected representatives will need to keep pace with such suggestions...