[atlarge-discuss] [CPI-UA] Call for submissions

<< start of forwarded material >>

Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 22:16:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: jrh@ais.org (Jay Hauben)
To: cpi-ua@vcn.bc.ca
Subject: [CPI-UA] Call for submissions

Hi,

We hope some readers of the Canadian Universal Access list might consider
contributing to the next issue of the Amateur Computerist continuing our
examination of the concept of the netizen.

Jay

Here is the call for submissions:

             The Emergence of the Netizen
                1992/1993 - 2002/2003
             What has been the evolution?

The emergence of the netizen was formulated by Michael Hauben as
part of the online research he was doing in 1992/1993.  He
recognized that there were people online who considered
themselves to be citizens of the net (net.citizen). These users
were seeking to spread access for all to the Net. They understood
the importance of the Net in spreading human to human computer
facilitated communication. These users recognized the need to
contribute to make the Net a valuable resource for all.

The concept was formulated in the introduction and conclusion to "The Net
and the Netizen: The Impact the Net has on People's Lives", first posted
in 1993, and then published in a print edition in 1997 and also available
online: http://www.columbia.edu/~rh120/ch106.x01

Some of Michael's early research appeared on Usenet and then in
the Amateur Computerist newsletter. His research inspired others
to apply or develop the concept of netizen.

It is now 10 years later. We would like to document the further
development and application of the concept of netizen (and of the
vision of the future of the net) that developed since Michael's
research in 1992/1993. Also we want to project into the future
about what the emergence of the netizen can mean to the further
development of the Internet and of our society in general.

We are seeking submissions, including articles, poems, cartoons,
stories, plays etc. that develop or explore the concept of
Netizen that has emerged along with the development of the
Internet and Usenet.

Submissions are due Sept 30, 2002. Please write and let us know
if you will have a submission or if you have an
idea/interest/suggestion for the upcoming issue.

Long live the netizen and netizenship.

Send submissions to

jrh@ais.org
ronda@ais.org

Ronda Hauben
Editor The Amateur Computerist

http://www.ais.org/~jrh/acn

<< end of forwarded material >>

Judyth Mermelstein     "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
Montreal, QC           <espresso@e-scape.net>
"The international community is a work in progress. Many
strands of cooperation have asserted themselves over the
years. We must now stitch them into a strong fabric of
community--of international community for an international
era." --Kofi A. Annan, Secretary-general of the UN and
recipient of the 2001 Nobel Peace Prize.