[atlarge-discuss] User activities in other At-Large structures

For those of you with an interest in user activities around the world, the
following are excerpts from the ISOC member newsletter describing some of
their user activities at the local chapter level.

ISOC Bahrain <http://www-ic.org.bh>

The Bahrain Internet Club (Bahrain ISOC Chapter) met with HH the
Prime Minister Shaikh Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa.  He praised
the Bahrain Internet Club for spreading awareness about the
importance of using the Internet.  He urged club members to use
their skills and abilities on the Internet to serve their nation
and introduce its achievements and accomplishments for the rest
of the world to see.  New technology, he said, should be employed
in promoting the Kingdom's cultural, political and economic
achievements.

A social gathering was held sponsored by the CEO of ALBA (Bahrain
Aluminum company).  The event, which is held every other month,
gave members an opportunity to physically meet and exchange ideas
and thoughts.

Ahmed ALHujairy, the President of the Internet Club in Bahrain,
and other Board members participated on a panel discussion on the
launching of Bahrainemall service.  The panel had representatives
from the Ministry of Commerce and Bharinemall executives.

The Board of the Bahrain Chapter held two meetings during the
month of August 2002 during which it reviewed its plans and
events for 2002 and ways of enhancing the activities of the club.

----------
ISOC Bulgaria <http://www.isoc.bg>

On 26 August 2002, Dimitàr Kirov, our colleague, fellow, and friend
died in a car accident.

Dimitàr Kirov is one of the founders and a member of the Board of
the Internet Society - Bulgaria (est. 1995), a member of the
Bulgarian President's Council for Information Technologies
(<http://www.president.bg/sit>), and an active participant in
national and international conferences on Internet issues in
Bulgaria and abroad.

Dimitàr Kirov was engaged in introducing Internet and Information
Technologies within education, their influence on the young people,
as well as with the possibilities for ensuring the right of access
to information and freedom of speach on the Internet.

The tragic end of his life is a terrible loss for his family, for
the whole Internet community, and for all of his friends and people
that knew him.  Dimitàr Kirov was 40, married, with two sons - age
10 and 16.

----------
ISOC Chicago <http://isoc-chicago.org>

This is the "Readers Digest" version of our activities this past
month.

* Attracted and processed 18 new members, placing us over the
  200 mark in membership.

* Worked mentoring a new member, Joseph Lloyd, who will likely
  become to e-commerce security what Bill Gates is to Microsoft
  software.  Joseph Lloyd will be a speaker on e-commerce security
  at the November 2002 meeting.

* Mentoring another new member, Adam Gerber, who will become our
  new VP of Emerging Technologies.

* Created a 49-slide presentation showing the History and Growth
  of the Internet.  This will be presented on September 18, 2002
  at our monthly meeting.

* E-mailed a "Happy Anniversary" note to Professor Leonard Kleinrock,
  on the occasion of marking 33 years since the beginning of the
  ARPANET. I sent him the presentation I mentioned above.

* Planned a "Networking Night" meeting for our October 2002 meeting,
  where we will have firms who can place people into jobs come out
  and meet our members and guests, in hopes of generating some leads
  and placement in the stagnated IT economy here in Chicago.

* Cancelled the August 2002 meeting due to lack of time and resources.
  This is rare because it is our first meeting cancellation since
  January 2001.

* Starting the development of some content for our web site along the
  lines of ISOC-Chicago information materials such as a FAQs list,
  member retention, member involvment motivators, and some recruiting
  information about the Internet Society.

* Coordinated having a NIST/SBA workshop on Small Business Computer
  Security in the Chicago area
  <http://csrc.nist.gov/securebiz/locations_dates.html>.

* Worked within Chicago on "Bridging the Digital Divide" at "Race to
  Knowledge" <http://ixprss.com/racetoknow/about.asp> where our
  volunteer hours have helped build an after school program.

----------
ISOC Ecuador <http://isoc-ecuador.hypermart.net>

- Election of the top ten web sites of Ecuador, on March of 2002.

- Participation in the connectivity agenda of Ecuador:  Electronic
  Commerce Law rules in Ecuador, on May-September 2002.

- Several meetings to talk about TICs and SMEs to improve
  productivity, on July-Sep. of 2002.

Activities for the next months:

- The situation of free software in Ecuador Sep-Dec 2002.

ISOC Luxembourg <http://www.isoc.lu>

On July 4th, ISOC Luxembourg hosted a conference with Vinton Cerf,
the Internet Pioneer, and Latif Ladid, President of the IPv6 Forum
and ISOC Trustee.  Both speakers contributed a high-level
presentation to the topic - "Internet: 21st Century Tidal Wave."
The whole conference is available as a webcast at
<mms://streamer.tsl.lu/archive/cerf.asf>. The conference web site
also includes the PowerPoint presentations as well as other
relevant material <http://www.isoc.lu/conferences>.