Re: [atlarge-discuss] Who are They...

Walter and all stakeholders or other interested parties and members,

Walter Schmidt wrote:

> We were started, in part, due to ICANN's apparent attempt to abrogate the
> global internet interests of all the people, for technical, business,
> military and governmental interests.
>
> ICANN's actions seem to continue to reflect this posture.

  Here we disagree.  ICANN sense Acura has made it clear that
they are not interested in any At-Large membership that can
elect members to the ICANN BoD or participate actively
in deciding policy.

> ICANN continues as a player.
>
> Most of the general public are not aware of the current goings on.

  True.  This needs to be changed as much as is possible.  This should
be one of our primary goals.

> For the general public, as they do become aware, knowledge of ICANN is
> inevitable.
>
> We are not very well known to the general public.

  Yes, and this must change as soon as possible.

> We would do well to be a recognized player.
>
> As we become known to the general public (as ICANNAtLarge.org), it stands
> to reason we will be thought of as an "arm" of ICANN, with all of ICANN's
> associated baggage rightfully attributed to us.

  Perhaps so.  Perhaps not as well.  This will depend greatly on how
we construct our Web site, and project ourselves...

> I look forward to they who picked our name, helping me understand how we
> are better off now, having picked a name that will immediately associate
> us as an "organization" of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and
> Numbers, and not, as it could have been, as an independant internet
> peoples organization.

  This will be difficult to do to be sure...  But it is doable if desirable.
I am not sure yet that such is desirable...

> I've always been big on first impressions...

  Most people are...