Re: [atlarge-discuss] finance

Hello, all,

It's my impression no corporate paperwork has been filed to date, for the excellent reason that without a name, a choice of country and structure, and preparation of articles of incorporation and/or founding bylaws, nothing of the kind could be done.

Naturally, an entity with no legal existence or bank account does not engage in fundraising, whether it has 1000 members or not ...unless the parties involve wish to risk being charged with fraud.

Obviously I can't speak for anyone but myself but I think it should be clear that, while an organization which exists elects a board of directors or executive council which is mandated by the bylaws to conduct the organization's business and take certain decisions on its behalf, we haven't got there yet. Approval of articles of incorporation, constitution and bylaws, as well as election of directors and officers, *must* be done by a vote of the membership.

These are things we can't do anything without and I'd like to see us concentrating on preparing this material ASAP, putting it to a vote, and then getting on with the mission contained therein.

It's awfully difficult for me to conceive of engaging in recruiting and fundraising and such when we haven't even decided what the scope of the organization will be, let alone set it up. Meanwhile, the Interim Panel is serving under a limited mandate and there are decisions it is not empowered to take on anyone's behalf so these things must be voted on ... including the scope of decision-making delegated by the membership to a future board.

HTH,

Judyth

At 05:15 -0700 2002/09/28, NameCritic wrote:
[snip]
>In a nonprofit organization with members, the members vote for the BoD and
>not all issues are voted on by the entire membership. This should be >covered in the bylaws, which issues the BoD decides and which issues have >to be taken to the membership for a vote. If every issue has to be put to a >vote of the entire membership, it renders an organization ineffective. By
>electing good directors and giving them the authority to act on certain
>issues an organization can run properly. If we trust those we elect to the
>BoD, and we should because they remain accountable to the membership, then
>they should make some of the decisions without having a vote.
>
>I may have the wrong impression here, but it seems as if some are saying
>everything must be put to a vote. Am I wrong about that?

Judyth Mermelstein     "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
Montreal, QC           <espresso@e-scape.net>