[atlarge-discuss] Point of Order Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: AL001, Vote tochoose organization name

There is a motion on the table, proposed by myself and seconded by Jan Siren:

>RESOLVED that
>
>a) the ad hoc Election Committee (composed of the Panel Chair and two volunteer Watchdogs] will publish the complete results of the balloting on our organization's name, including:
>- the number of members to whom ballots were sent
>- the number of ballots cast
>- the detailed results of the count for all options
>and a report on the procedure used to
>- verify ballots cast against the membership roll of the date on which ballots were distributed
>- remove duplicate or otherwise invalidated ballots
>- resolve differences (if any) in interpreting individual ballots
>- tabulate the preferential vote
>and announce the results to all members.
>
>b) the Panel analyze the results of this process with the assistance of the Elections Working Group and present the membership with
>- a recommendation on procedures to be used in future balloting;
>- a period in which that recommendation can be discussed, considered and, if need be, amended
>- a resolution to adopt the resulting procedure and an opportunity to cast their votes as to whether this procedure should be incorporated into the bylaws of the organization.

If there is to be no further discussion of the motion, I would ask our Acting Chair either to put the question to a vote or to make the vote unnecessary by providing the information requested in a) above without delay and proceeding to the process requested in b) above.

I do realize that part of the information has been provided informally but I think openness and transparency require that there be an official and comprehensive response.

Respectfully submitted,

Judyth Mermelstein

At 08:32 -0700 2002/09/29, Jan Siren wrote:

>espresso@e-scape.net wrote:
>>
>> I agree wholeheartedly and would like to propose the following motion:
>>
>> RESOLVED that
>>
>> a) the ad hoc Election Committee (composed of the Panel Chair and two volunteer Watchdogs] will publish the complete results of the balloting on
>our organizati
>> - the number of members to whom ballots were sent
>> - the number of ballots cast
>> - the detailed results of the count for all options
>> and a report on the procedure used to
>> - verify ballots cast against the membership roll of the date on which ballots were distributed
>> - remove duplicate or otherwise invalidated ballots
>> - resolve differences (if any) in interpreting individual ballots
>> - tabulate the preferential vote
>> and announce the results to all members.
>>
>> b) the Panel analyze the results of this process with the assistance of the Elections Working Group and present the membership with
>> - a recommendation on procedures to be used in future balloting;
>> - a period in which that recommendation can be discussed, considered and, if need be, amended
>> - a resolution to adopt the resulting procedure and an opportunity to cast their votes as to whether this procedure should be incorporated into the
>bylaws of t
>>
>> Comments, anyone? Is there a seconder?
>>

>Of course, and I expect my second will be only one of many.  My only comment
>is that, when your resolution comes to discussion, we add a provision that
>the procedure used to decide a preferential vote be made clear to the
>membership in advance (as I stated to Walter Schmidt).

Judyth Mermelstein     "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
Montreal, QC           <espresso@e-scape.net>