Re: [atlarge-discuss] Short-term goals

Just a couple of points in responde to Chris McElroy:

First of all, it is no longer true that most Internet users are in the United States, and the proportion of Americans is declining rapidly as other parts of the world develop their infrastructure. English has decreased from 80% to less than 50% over the past 6 years (counting both users and web pages) -- see http://funredes.org/lc for figures on languages on the Internet.

Secondly, I think it's rash to say that most potential donors are in the U.S. and are set up only to donate to organizations which give tax receipts for use against American taxes. 501C-3 doesn't cut much ice in other countries although it may be "the most accepted standard" in the U.S.

I'm sorry to be so snippy about this but I'm getting rather tired of explaining to Americans on international lists that, the DoC and ICANN aside, they no longer "own" the Internet and need to start thinking in terms of people in other countries having as much right to be on the 'Net. There are nearly 600 million Internet users, while I understand there are about 300 million Americans and only around 60% have Internet access. Meanwhile, Internet use has pretty much stopped growing in the U.S. and continues to rise steeply elsewhere.

There are nearly as many Europeans online as Americans, and I believe there are now as many Asians, so perhaps it is time to start thinking in terms of a fairly decentralized structure in which national or regional organizations would look after their own fundraising (once they are set up to do it) and contribute something to the umbrella-group.

Finally, thus far we haven't the faintest chance of applying for funding in any country since we have not yet been able to agree upon what we will be doing and what will be involved in that effort. In fact, most sources of funding want to see evidence that an organization is in operation and doing something useful before they will consider an application. At the very least, they want to see a charter, budget projections and detailed plans before providing even start-up funding.

The only exception I can imagine under the present circumstances is that individual members may be willing to make contributions in cash or in kind during this "pre-launch" phase. However, short of their sending cash through the mails to one of the Panel members, this group would still need some kind of bank account in which to deposit the money, not to mention somebody to keep the books.

Personally, I'd be willing to send a small donation myself but not until the organization exists and there's a Treasurer to keep track of revenues and expenses. And, by the way, contrary to what Jeff Williams has suggested, the Treasurer is an elected officer of an organization, not a fancy name for a hired comptroller or bookkeeper.

Regards,

Judyth

At 13:02 -0700 2002/09/28, NameCritic wrote:
[snip]
>IMHO, fundraising for a foreign corporation or association is more difficult
>than one in the US. I don't have a personal preference of where it would be
>filed, but the fact is most users are in the US. Most potential donors are
>in the US. They are set up to approve donations to charities and
>organizations that have the specific 501C-3 status and according to their
>own set policies cannot donate funds to any other type of organization. Send
>a funding request to any US corporation and they will request your 501C-3
>information before they can donate any money. With a 501C-3 we may also
>qualify for grants that again specifically state that you must be a 501C-3.
>That's what ICANN did and for a good reason.
>
>I'm not saying it cannot be done in a foriegn country, just saying we need
>to qualify for funding from anyone and 501C-3 is the most accepted standard.
>To have one, we have to have articles of incorporation and bylaws and a BoD.
>Different states have different rules as to how the BoD is structured but
>all require the Articles and bylaws.
>
>I am not familiar with foreign corporations, just looking at the future and
>see the future needs money. In order to get it we need to be structured in
>some way that is acceptable to the largest group of potential donors and
>grant givers.
>

>Chris McElroy aka NameCritic

Judyth Mermelstein     "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
Montreal, QC           <espresso@e-scape.net>