Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: [wg-web] Re: [atlarge-discuss]Opening of the WG-Web mailing list

At 08:14 -0500 2002/10/30, James Love wrote:
>Ok people.  After we have dozens or hundreds of people on the committee to
>manage the web site, what next?  Isn't this pretty silly?  Can anyone point
>to even one organization that has a similiar structure to manage an
>organization web site?   Maybe we need to grow up a bit and think about >what we are trying to manage.   Jamie

Jamie et al.,

I think the point is *not* that the WG-Web members will all "manage" the Web site -- the ongoing management would naturally be done by the webmaster -- but that the WG-Web would collaborate on developing the best possible concept for the site and the policy guidelines on what process should be used in taking a document or idea from one individual's personal vision to an appropriately professional Web page representing the collective vision of the organization.

We've already had more than enough trouble over what happens when one individual has an idea and just slaps it up on the site without consulting anyone. If WG-Web can recommend a good routine process, I'm sure that members would approve of both the policy and the results of applying it.

Also, we should remember that this organization-to-be will run largely on volunteer labour and no individual should be expected to make it their full-time job. Making our Webmaster singlehandedly responsible for everything is unrealistic: most organizations, voluntary or otherwise, have several people to deal with Web materials -- one Webmaster, but a designer, writers, editors, graphic artists, programmers and whatever else is needed.

EAC/ACR's Web site is under the overall management of one person but there are over a dozen individuals creating and checking content, sending materials to translators, discussing possible improvements, etc. and I haven't heard any one of the people involved complain that they have too little work to do.

I'd hate to see us put Bret in an untenable position (again) by demanding that he do all the work in addition to managing the site. The WG-Web is a team of people who volunteered to help the Webmaster with the work involved, so why not let them do that?

Regards,

Judyth
(who can't volunteer for the WG-Web since she's
got her hands more than full with developing a
site for another organization)

Judyth Mermelstein     "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
Montreal, QC           <espresso@e-scape.net>