Re: [atlarge-discuss] PASSED: ALAC/ALOC REPRESENTATIVES

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 13:38:20 +1300, you wrote:

>At 04:35 p.m. 30/10/2002 +0000, Richard Henderson wrote:
>>My (revised) view on this is as follows: if there is a clear
>>groundswell of member opinion that they want to be involved in the
>>decision-making process, then why on earth not let them/us?
>

>Here you are on the right track,  Richard.
>I don't think members will be "put off" any more by opportunities to
>regularly contribute to the organization by voting, preferably on a
>non-intruding web based interface, than by endless bickering about
>authority on a mailing list most members will not have the time for to be
>subscribed to and read.

On the other hand, a wide majority of our members didn't even care to
vote for the election of the panel, let alone voting once or twice a
week on specific issues.

So I think we need a reasonable compromise between the need of keeping
our decision process open, so to avoid that the panel acts in
directions that the membership wouldn't approve, and the need of
building an organization which will hopefully have thousands of
members, most of which will only want to elect their representatives
and forget about the matter until the next panel elections, unless for
extraordinary issues (such as the change of name, or bylaws
amendments).

So the important thing that needs to be settled as soon as possible is
the balance between what should be decided by the panel and what
should need consultation of the membership, and the related checks. I
understand and share the desire for openness and involvement, but
after all, if everything had to be brought to the vote of the whole
membership, then why should we elect a panel?
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------