[atlarge-discuss] PASSED: ALAC/ALOC REPRESENTATIVES

The "voter's apathy" argument has been trotted out too often by would-be dictators and paternalists and I hope that Vittorio would show some confidence in the 170 or so who *did* take the trouble to vote when they were offered the chance.

Broad participation is more important in the initial organizing phase of an organization, when it is most prone to hijacking.

It is critical when some of our panel members might take seats on an ICANN-led body.

Later, when it is clear that elected officers and representatives have full confidence and a broad mandate (now they do not) , we can afford to ask less of the members.

As it is now, when the members do not even have the opportunity to help financially it is not too much to ask them to participate in on-line polls.

I am even partial to the idea that members who do not otherwise contribute, *must* participate in polls/vote in order to stay members.

That there would be weekly votes/polls is hopelessly exaggerated. It will take weeks each time before the Panel would even agree on an unbiased formulation of the polling questions.

--Joop