Re: [atlarge-discuss] At Large Coalition

Richard and all stakeholders or other interested parties and members,

Richard Henderson wrote:

> Tonight I continue to engage in the aspirations of this organisation, but
> I've started to set in motion the preparations and planning for a separate
> organisation, aimed at the broader at large community worldwide. I believe
> it is necessary to create a coalition/alliance of sympathetic groups and
> individuals OUTSIDE of ICANN's pretence of a coalition (although I am
> personally interested in opening this front INSIDE the namespace/roots
> presently controlled by the rogues at ICANN).

  Good idea.  >;)

> I tried to develop this front inside Icannatlarge.org but there was
> insufficient panel support. My agenda hasn't changed, so I'm obliged to
> develop it separately.
>
> That does not mean that I no longer support this organisation - far from
> it - but I believe it is too focussed on Icann's "mock atlarge/ALAC" and I'm
> much more interested in developing allegiances in the world far beyond
> Icann's sad little empire.

  ICANN has no empire, but I can understand your position here fully...

> I don't intend to look for a public mandate for
> this project at first. I intend to set an agenda, co-operate with
> like-minded people in its development, and if it attracts people, it
> attracts people.

  There ya go!  >;)

> To avoid procrastination, hijacking, and hostile takeover,
> I intend to define clear targets and processes, and devolve democratic power
> only in stages, linked to the achievement of specific participant/membership
> numbers. The bigger we grow, the more democracy we will lay claim to.

  Exactly right and a good starting point as well.  Don't forget that good
up-front funding will be necessary for any kind of long term or even mid
term success..

> I'm interested in creating a simple structure for diverse groups to express
> views under the org's umbrella. I'm interested in content from the earliest
> stage. I'm interested in quality content, not the introspection that seems
> to take over on a list like this.

  Also a good point here as well...  Will you be this new organizations
President/CEO in the beginning?

> I want a website where people can find information, an ordered list of
> topics, a navigable structure of partipating allies, and where 'content' and
> 'topic' dominate the agenda.

  Well this is also great!  But perhaps you should think of issues and
solutions to concerns as the dominant part of that content and headlining
topics should drive the agenda?

> I want a 'biased' website which promotes the cause of ordinary internet
> users all over the world because it's their internet, not Icann's.

  Agreed.  ICANN's idea of what a stakeholder/user seems to be one
of a person or entity that is willing to become a "Yes Man" to any and
all top-down generated ideas it's leadership puts forth.  To me anyway,
and as it seem you as well Richard, that direction of ICANN's is not
only against it's stated and contracted mandate's but cannot and does
not reflect reality.

> I want an
> organisation and a website which is fundamentally concerned with diversity
> and coalition. I want an initiative that does not get blown off course.

  Well many initiatives sometimes get blown off course.  It is the leadership
that must help to guide and listen to it's members and take heed to their
ideas, issues, and concerns that will be the predominant rudder to keep
the initiative overall on course..

> And if that sounds totalitarian, then it is only totalitarian in the resolve
> to 'insist' on a populist agenda, insist on a web-presence driven by that
> agenda, and insist on the handing over of all decision-making to the
> Internet Public itself as landmark numbers are achieved.

  Good point here!  Well said...

> But first, the establishment of an independent at large alliance.
>
> The time for niceties has passed. I'm moving on (but not leaving the
> family!). That's the point : we can each belong to several "At Large"
> organisations, because At Large really means the vast diverse collection of
> the people everywhere. But at heart, there is ONE At Large. It's not Icann's
> circumscribed invention. It's called the Human Race.

  Remember though, not all of the human race is a internet stakeholder/user.
Not all will be any time soon either.

> Those of us interested in IcannatLarge.org are part of a broader family. My
> own shift of emphasis from this point does not denote 'leaving the family'.

  Hummm?  I was not aware that ICANNATLARGE.ORG was a family
in any sense of that term.  Rather it would seem obvious that ICANNATLARGE.ORG
is and "Organization in the making", ever evolving, ever changing, and always
open to any and all interested stakeholders/users...

> The abysmal self-interest of ICANN and its supporters cannot contain or
> circumscribe the dawning realisation of ordinary people that the whole human
> race can now increasingly by-pass governments and talk and share together.
> This power of communication is an unstoppable movement. ICANN's influence
> will unravel if it does not accede to the emergent voice of the people of
> the world. Only outright war and suppression could possibly prevent this new
> mass communication, and I doubt whether even that would stop things for
> long.
>
> I had hoped to use Marc's www.atlarge.org but I have found another perhaps
> more effective name instead. I'll release more details and I hope people who
> have a heart for this project will come alongside and do what Icann/USG
> really don't want at all : create a public face for an At Large Alliance
> which runs to its own shared and individual agendas.

  Hope is the mother of all men...  ICANN is not a very hopeful organization
at present.  Perhaps that will change, perhaps not.  None the less ICANN
does not and cannot ever control on a global basis or even in the US,
the evolving and changing state of the Internet.  And it likely never will.
This will be done, is being done, and shall be done more rapidly by the
stakeholders/users of various sorts as time passes and technologies
merge or are created..