Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: the preview icannatlarge.org site...

On Sat, 2002-12-07 at 06:24, J-F C. (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:
> On 23:34 06/12/02, Stephen Waters said:
> >On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 19:30, J-F C. (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:
> > >
> > > "concerted net keeping",
> >
> >this is exactly what I think of when I think "cooperative" :)  probably
> >due to the student coops we have on/near campus...
>
> Dear Stephen,
> Each country has its culture. Our French culture roots in 1700 years of
> small fiefs gathered as a large kingdom by servant kings, impressed by the
> Church bishops type of simple hierachy (Canonic law). Authority is a service.

your description of the French system sounds a lot like the failed
American experiments in confederacy (Articles of Confederation and
later, the Confederate States of America). I haven't researched it, but
I'd guess the local control system worked better in smaller areas with
more homogeneity. In the States, Georgian planters and Boston
blue-bloods had a very hard time kowtowing to each others' needs in the
central gov't of the Articles.

Massachusetts said, "send troops!"
Georgia said, "send money!"

And that was as far as they got!

But I agree, I think a broad base of local control with the central part
taking orders from the localities is workable on the Net, given its
narrow mission.

I've always thought a P2P, freenet style system with some basic, sane
rules for adding to the library of names and numbers would be really
neat. I just have no idea how to code it, yet. :)

> This so true that this management style is named in French "concertation"
> and is used all the time: The word does not even exist in English to the
> point that "concertation" in English means the opposite, ie contention.

I have to say something about this hint of Structuralism, though. Just
because there's no one-word label (or multi-word idiom) for a concept in
a language doesn't mean those native speakers haven't learned the idea.
For example, there's a very real fight in the Boy Scouts of America,
right now, over this issue (central vs local control). It also carries a
lot of weight in Texas. (remember Bush being criticized for having
experience only as a governer of a state where the governer has no
power?)

As always, I appreciate your thoughts, Jefsey,
-s