Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: the preview icannatlarge.org site...

At 19:55 11/12/02, Stephen Waters wrote:
actually, I was thinking more about national vs regional vs troop
control over certain issues (e.g., gays in Scouting). there's a lot of
disagreement over who does/should control what policies.
I know. I should have been clearer. I base my thinking on the fact
that a network (of people, of ideas, of facts) and most of all culture
which is a network of people, ideas, facts over time, has necessarily
to be consistent or it desagregates.

So the easiest way to understand a culture (and an organization)
is to try to understand its mechanism at a place it is clear to
everyone and if possible non sensitive at that time (so you have
a good bench mark). The Scout movement logic will be the same
for patrols and for gays problems, for open or close organizations.
We experimented that in France 30 years ago over Catholic
changes as the Scouts in France are mostly Catholic. I would
tend to think that you probably meet the same problems (pure
long term civilization evolution) on a different issue of the time
which is more pertinent to your own situation.

The Internet situation meets the same difficulty underlined by the
odditity that the prototype technology should never have made it
through. So we meet both the societal problems of the network
society evolution (general), the old "information" issues we (in
Europe and mostly France) masterized a long ago through Minitel
(discovering is the problem, evolution is far simpler: Internet
imposes on us to do it again, hence the limited interest in here
where Minitel is still far more used than Internet as stable, secure,
robust, immediately available everywhere) and the technical
problems due to the huge limitations and unsecruity that
Richard Clarke made identified.

Network systems are of the human essence. The simplistic
model of the Internet and its lack of architecture probably
explains its success, but as a temporary social patch. What
is going to happen now is what is important .... and where
we can dispute a lot. All the more than we see errors repeating
(like the Cometa project). Should they look into the US and
FCC history they would understand why. In Europe we have
less errors of that type to offer as an experience since the
leading test country.society was France for nets and we
focussed on 1200/75 Minitel rather than of light data access
systems (BTW it conforted the idea that there are only two
information speed: finger (low) and eye (very fast) speed).
Also that was - as usual in here - a State sponsored
project with a very little leading cell and a societal
approval rather than a market approval, so a different
type of experience, probably not easy to directly transfer.
But again, I think they would learn a lot from people
like Jack McDonnell (TNSI). Difficult to get a better experience
of the technology, of the success and of your national market.

jfc