RE: [atlarge-discuss] Re: [ga] Open call to join ICANNATLARGE.ORG

Danny Younger wrote:

|  While there has certainly been ample time to properly organize
|  this group, the membership of icannatlarge.org is still not in
|  receipt of any organizational documents (even after twice
|  electing a slate of candidates to produce such a set of bylaws).

I suppose you prefer the swift, decisive actions of the ICANN oligarchy
instead?  After all, it is *so* much easier to make decisions when you can
ignore the wishes of those the decisions may effect.  We have no desire to
make that same mistake.  The decisions we do implement have and will reflect
the concensus of our membership.  That's how democracy works.  The time it
takes to develop that concensus is a regretable but necessary part of the
process.

I can't speak to the efforts of the previous panel.  They may do so if they
wish.  But the current panel has made good progress despite the best efforts
of ICANN and naysayers like yourself to impede us:

-  We have a name

-  We have a permanent home for our Web site, and a standing working group
to oversee its operation.

-  We have another working group developing a mission statement and bylaws.
We are planning to vote on a mission statement in January.  Bylaws and
incorporation will follow as soon as possible after that.

-  We have a third working group developing outreach stategies to employ
once we're incorporated.

All of this is being done by part-time volunteers, all of whom have
full-time jobs and family commitments, and no funding.  Imagine what we may
accomplish once we are incorporated!

Danny, we had a saying in the USAF: lead, follow or get out of the way.  As
long as you are unwilling to do any of these, you really have no right to
criticise those of us who are, particularly since your attempts to work
within the ICANN system have failed so spectacularly.

After ICANN dissolved the At Large back in February and we formed this
organization -- and continually since then -- you called our self-organizing
actions futile, and condemed us for not engaging ICANN more aggressively.
Ten months later, after ICANN has now dissolved the DNSO as well, and made
all your "engaging" work in that body worthless, one has to question whose
efforts over the last year have been more futile, yours or ours.

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon USA
bruce@barelyadequate.info
http://www.barelyadequate.info