Re: [atlarge-discuss] Our Task List and Status...

eric

The membership of IcannAtLarge.org needs to decide whether it wants to be
part of ICANN's structure, supporting an ICANN-based umbrella group, which
helps legitimise the "reforms" of Stuart Lynn... or whether it wants to
develop an independent identity, joining in a coalition of
critics-in-opposition OUTSIDE Icann, and developing a "REAL" At Large which
speaks for itself, has its own structure, and follows its own agenda. ICANN
has already shown its intent by determinining to expel the elected
representatives of ordinary users from its autocratic Boardroom. The At
Large should not be developed to support the ICANN coup by participating in
a structure which has no democratic mandate.

Our mission statement and bylaws need to be developed IN THE CONTEXT of our
relationship to the ICANN agenda and RALOs. If our organisation intends to
help build up the ICANN Ralos, then it will need one set of statements and
bylaws (and I will offer it little or no support and start mobilising other
groups). If our organisation recognises its mission to lead the way to an
external At Large with its own independent structures and agenda - an
umbella coalition of internet users and groups OUTSIDE Icann's
machinations - then it will need a different mission statement and bylaws
which match its aims. In this second case, I would be ready to be actively
involved.

The first thing  - the immediate thing - we need to do is to poll our entire
membership on whether they (A) want the group to help build up ICANN's Ralos
and structures... or (B) want the group to form a coalition with its own
structures OUTSIDE the Icann scheme, in clear opposition to the fake At
Large that Icann is trying to develop as a public relations stunt.

I therefore renew my PROPOSAL for a ballot of all members, and invite a
panel member to second this motion, so that we can establish clarity about
what the membership REALLY sees as our mission.

PROPOSAL:
to poll our entire membership on whether they (A) want the group to help
build up ICANN's Ralos and structures... or (B) want the group to form a
coalition with its own structures OUTSIDE the Icann scheme, in clear
opposition to the fake At Large that Icann is trying to develop as a public
relations stunt.

This wording and this choice is what I would like the membership to vote on.

It is a clearcut choice. I do not believe personally that we can (or should)
do both.

Richard Henderson