Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: [ga] Open call to join

Thanks Joop : the Polling Booth is potentially a most valuable tool for
aggregating the opinions of the broad membership on a wide range of topics.
This way, there is less danger of capture by a few activists, and less
chance of a small number of people (or a panel majority?) bulldozing
mistaken perceptions through against the published opinions of the broader
membership.

We want to be democratic? This is democratic.

My thanks to the private supporter (not me) who financed this initiative.

I'd be very interested in the issue of participation in ICANN's RALOs being
made the subject of a poll.

My questions for the membership would be whether they:

(A) want the group to help build up ICANN's Ralos and structures... or
(B) want the group to form a coalition with its own structures OUTSIDE the
Icann scheme, in clear opposition to the fake At Large that Icann is trying
to develop as a public relations stunt.

Remember everything ICANN has done to the At Large and democratic
representation to date:
ignored their own ALSG recommendations...
chosen to expel the democratic representatives of the At Large (ie the vast
constituency of millions of ordinary internet users) from the Board Room...
shutting down the GA which was another focus of dissenting opinion...
attempted to marginalise a powerless At Large deep within the labyrinths of
its "reform" processes, leaving the Board unrestrained, unchallenged, and
unaccountable.

The Polling Booth is an excellent idea, for monitoring the real feelings and
opinions of our broader membership, and a very good check and balance to a
panel which seems to "think it knows best" and which seems to be steering
this group informally into the arms of ICANN's controlled and constrained
"at-large".

Richard Henderson