Re: [atlarge-discuss] geek.nz

On Fri, 03 Jan 2003 17:03:33 -0500, Sotiris Sotiropoulos
<sotiris@hermesnetwork.com> wrote:

>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/2624329.stm
>
>I wonder what the mechanics of this online vote will be
>exactly?  Perhaps some of our InternetNZ friends can
>provide us with some info?

Certainly - this will be our 4th public vote on creating a new 2LD.
bank.nz has failed twice and maori.nz succeeded.  Note the vote is a
hurdle but not a decision.  Less than 200 votes and 70% support and it
doesn't proceed.  More than that and it does, but final decision is
made by InternetNZ after formal submissions.

There are two voting methods available to people.  Through a secure
form on our website or via e-mail to a designated address.

People need to supply their name, postal address and e-mail address to
be a valid vote.  The scrutineer also manually check the voting logs
to look for any patterns of voting fraud such as from the same IP
address etc.

To date there has been no significant problems.  The maori.nz vote had
IIRC around 2,000 people vote.

DPF
--
E-mail: david@farrar.com