[atlarge-discuss] To RALO or not to RALO (was: Some Simple Facts...)

At 04:34 p.m. 6/01/2003, DPF wrote:
On Mon, 06 Jan 2003 13:08:45 +1300, Joop Teernstra
<terastra@terabytz.co.nz> wrote:

>DPF:
>
>>  Bad enough ICANN is going to
>>force us into regional groups.
>
>Are we no longer masters of our own fate?

Let me rephrase.  To be eligible to participate in the ICANN at large
we can only do so through regional at large organisations.

My strategy would be for us to do so so we get a voice inside the
tent, but then immediately make the case for allowing global bodies to
also affiliate.
Since the "RALO's" will not be given power to determine the overall structure of ICANN's At Large membership, "making the case" for global bodies will be about as successful as making the case for a global Individuals' constituency in the GNSO.
You can try, but it doesn't look promising. (Agreeing with your "bad enough" on that score)

On the other hand, if enough of the "icannatlarge" proponents can be enticed to submit to the RALO structure, ICANN will have scored a much needed victory on the legitimacy front.
Do you want to hand them that? Without any concessions in return?

-joop-